up2 won't start up anymore

Booting still works. I tried re-installing the OS...but that won't work either.

Comments

• Bas Horneman
    Bas Horneman New Member Posts: 22

And...this morning it won't even boot up. I get a blue flashing led.

• Bas Horneman

I have loosened the heatsink. Even taken it off...no joy.

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin

Can you advise your installation step? It might be helpful for the community to see where the problem could be...

• Bas Horneman

I boot up with a USB stick that has the LibreElec installer. Same way I installed it initially. But all that is not important anymore right? Since all it does now is a flashing blue led. Is there any documentation that explaines the different signals of the led?

• Bas Horneman

Spelling correction. I can't edit my original post anymore. To rephrase the question: Is there documentation which explains (not explaines) what a flashing blue led means?

• Alphakilo
    Alphakilo New Member Posts: 2

What you're seeing is called a "Kernel Panick", the Linux equivalent of an BSOD.
    It's hard to tell what goes wrong by just a picture, but it's an "general protection fault" very early during the startup.

Judging by the call trace, it tries to initialize the high-resolution timer and dies because something terrible happens in memory. Might be faulty RAM, might be an software issue. I can't tell.

Did you by chance update the kernel on the machine recently?

Here's what I'd do:
    Obtain a copy of Memtest86 and start a test. Leave that running on loop for a day. Faulty RAM can be tricky to diagnose at times.
    If it comes back clean, prepare an Ubuntu 16.04 Live stick, using etcher.io.

If the live ubuntu boots up, it is most likely an broken installation.
    Then again, it could be the kernel, a module, or anything. Really. Obtain the /var/log folder from the old system using the live linux and (if it exists) the crash-dump.

That'll help tremendously in nailing down the faulty component.

While your at it, back up any filse you value on your old installation.

• Bas Horneman
    edited March 2018

Thanks for your time and knowledge in replying. But that ship has sailed. Like I said the board does nothing anymore...except a blue flashing LED.

But to answer one of your questions. I did not update anything. Had LibreElec installed (mediaplayer). I thought no biggie..just re-install the OS...and all will be fine....but got a similar if not the same error message..

• Bas Horneman

Ok...the blue flashing led went away after holding the reset button for something like 10 seconds. Still pissed offed that there is nothing in the documentation about that.

• Bas Horneman
    edited March 2018

Obtain a copy of Memtest86 and start a test. Leave that running on loop for a day. Faulty RAM can be tricky to diagnose at times. If it comes back clean, prepare an Ubuntu 16.04 Live stick, using etcher.io. If the live ubuntu boots up, it is most likely an broken installation. Then again, it could be the kernel, a module, or anything. Really. Obtain the /var/log folder from the old system using the live linux and (if it exists) the crash-dump. That'll help tremendously in nailing down the faulty component.

I've since downloaded the memtest86...and so far so good...so at the moment I think it is like the emmc memory that has become corrupted or something.