UP Squared & Intel System Debugger (NDA 2019).

Hi. We're just getting started with the UP Squared board, so I apologize if this has been asked before (I searched the forums and didn't see anything, but I could have been looking in the wrong place).

We currently use the Intel System Debugger (NDA 2019 release) and are able to successfully connect to and debug an Intel Leaf Hill board (which also uses the Apollo Lake chip). When I plug the Leaf Hill board into my Windows 10 PC, the Leaf Hill board shows up in the device manager, the debugger sees it, etc... The cable we use is as follow:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/ITPDCIAMAM2M?qs=/ha2pyFadujjHcVtjm63Kd7y8DOaP9k%2BU9CdK08QTTER5axG9D1vgw==

It is our understanding that we can use the same debugger & cable with the UP Squared board, however, I'm not able to get my PC (Windows 10) to recognize the board -- when I plug in the UP Squared board to my PC, there is no indication that the PC sees it (no "beep boop" from Windows, nothing changes in the device manager, etc).

I've tried all three USB 3 ports on the UP Squared board, and even the two USB 2 ports that are on the cable/dongle, but alas, no joy from any of these.

I am using the default BIOS that comes with the UP Squared board. Perhaps the BIOS doesn't support this...? Perhaps there's a hidden option somewhere in the BIOS that needs to be enabled...?

Has anyone had any success with using the Intel System Debugger and the special USB A-to-A cable with the UP Squared board?

Thank you for your time.

-Jon
2020/02/14

Comments

• garyw
    garyw New Member, Moderator, AAEON Posts: 82 admin

@JonS
    I didn't try Intel System Debug in Up squared, but maybe you can try to enable debug in BIOS.
    1. power on Up Squared and pressed del key to enter BIOS, password is passw0rd to turn on all BIOS setting.
    2. main -> CRB Setup -> CRB Advanced -> Debug Configuration
    you can give it a try to turn on kernel debug for WinDBG or other debug setting

• danm
    danm New Member Posts: 3

I believe the Kernel Debug option is for the serial port based debugging. For Intel System System - System Debug DCI JTAG debugging you need to set DCI Enable (HDCIEN) to enable in the BIOS options, as well has have the special USB debugging cable. The option is hidden in the administrator mode AAEON BIOS with the 'upassw0rd' BIOS password.

Sadly, even with HDCIEN set to enable in the AAEON BIOS, I still wasn't able to make DCI debugging work.

It took a few steps, but I was able to finally make DCI work with both the Intel BIOSes: UPBOARDA.X64.0071.R01.1809030927.bin (release, faster) or UPBOARDA.X64.0071.D01.1809030917.bin (debug, lots of logging to serial port) from https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/uefi-firmware-project-for-intel-atom-processor-e3900-series-processor-platforms . After testing to making sure those worked, I was also able to make it work in my own BIOS build.

To flash the Intel BIOSes I needed to use the Fpt_3.1.50.2222.efi tool from 4.0 BIOS here: https://downloads.up-community.org/download/up-squared-uefi-bios-v4-0/ . The afuefix64.efi tool in the 5.0 BIOS didn't seem to work.

Note: After flashing to the Intel BIOS with the Fpt_3.1.50.2222.efi , I didn't get DCI debugging working until I reflashed AGAIN with the FirmwareUpdateX64.efi in the Firmware Update Utilities from the Intel site (above). The FirmwareUpdateX64.efi didn't work until AFTER I flashed to the Intel BIOS, it didn't work with the AAEON BIOS. I also unplugged the power from the Up2 (not just reset) before DCI started working. I'm not sure those all those steps are necessary, but that's what worked for me.

I haven't yet gotten System Trace / TraceHub working. I cherry picked TraceHub patch from the tianocore github, but it still doesn't work correctly. My cherry-picked version here: https://github.com/dan255/edk2-platforms/tree/devel-IntelAtomProcessorE3900-0.71-with-trace-hub

• danm
    danm New Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2020

P.S. Note: This may be a one way conversion i.e. AAEON BIOS -> Intel BIOS only without a hardware programmer. The flash descriptors on the Intel BIOS (as well as custom built with the open firmware hardware) seem to be locked to an 8gb limit. Since the AAEON BIOS is 16gb, there doesn't appear to be be an easy way to use the FPT tool to replace the AAEON BIOS.