This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

connect external display equipped with DisplayPort port (eDP->HDMI)

SFR75
SFR75 New Member Posts: 2

Hello,

I'm looking for a single board computer, which can drive a screen via DisplayPort. The display itself is 1920x1920 (eizo square) and it works fine when connected to desktop PC. So my question is, if I take eDP-DisplayPort cable (exists, right?) and connect UpBoard to monitor, would it be the same situation as with desktop (windows10) ?

thanks
M

Comments

• SFR75
    SFR75 New Member Posts: 2

Actually I made mistake in the subject: It should read eDP->DisplayPort and NOT eDP->HDMI

• uscdadnyc
    uscdadnyc New Member Posts: 34 ✭✭

Not too sure what Form-Factor? (type of Connector) eDP comes in? Have a Intel NUC (circa 2015) i7 PC w/ mini-DSP (Display Port) -going-to-HDMI (via an Adapter) . Also have an UP Board (4GB-RAM, 32GB eMMC, WIN10) using on-Board HDMI. Had to use BT noob
    (BlueTooth USB Noob) to Get Audio. Not too certain whether Up Board's HDMI contains Audio, so I bypassed the Issue by using BT. Just
    ordered an UP Core (4GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, aim to load WIN10). AAR What is a 1920x1920 (eizo Square) Display-Monitor?
    Bottom Line: What do you want to do? email me at uscdadnyc@gmail.com. BTW maybe eDP come off the "Headers" on the UP Board?
    UP is not so great WRT Documentation

• uscdadnyc

Just had a Thought. Maybe eDP (Form Factor) is a Laminated Flat Ribbon Cable (typically used in Laptops). Had/Have a Pi-Top CEED Display Enclosure for Rasp-PI 3 SBC (Single Board Computer) that has such a laminate Connector, Fits an Up Board also. Unfortunately had a problem with said Pi-Top CEED. The Manufacturer sent me 2 (Good) Replacement MoBo (small MotherBoard) to effect repair.
    Have not had the Time to further Trouble-Shoot . Can send you Pic of MoBo. Maybe you use one. The MoBo needs 19Vdc Input (I think this like a typical Laptop Power Brick). This MoBo takes full-size HDMI and also connects to a LCD Display (via a eDP? flat Laminate Ribbon Cable).

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

It won't be easy and we haven't tested any adapter of that type.

The easy option is to buy a board which includes a DP output:
    https://up-shop.org/home/270-up-squared.html
    https://up-shop.org/up-ai-edge/231-up-core-plus.html

• uscdadnyc

WRT DCleri Comment: I guess that (from UP-Connectors_de...pdf) CN31 is NOT DSI or eDP port? Correct? BTW this e-Forum is very well organized and run'd. Compliments to DCleri.

• uscdadnyc

Another Thought. Like I said in my first 01APR2020 Comment: that I use a mini-DisplayPort-to-(full-size)HDMI-Adapter. Maybe SFR can get an Adapter that goes in the Reverse Direction. I don't remember who the Manufacturer of my Adapter (I found it on a (USA) AMTRAK
    Train). I can look if need be. That being said, going from HDMI (from say UP Board) 1920?x1024? TO SFR's Display 1920x1920 the Display may(?) look Distorted and/or Cropped?

• uscdadnyc

Sorry to dominate this discussion. BUT after examining my Monologue, I might suggest 1) Buy any UP Board w/ HDMI. 2) Buy a Belkin F2CD004B . I think the F2CD004B will go from: HDMI. to: Display-Port. However there is a Q about whether the UP-Board has AUDIO?
    or Not? I bypassed any Hard Work WRT HDMI-Audio by using a BT (Blue-Tooth) Solution.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Audio is available through HDMI so your adapter would need also a audio jack out or the DP screen should be audio capable if you need.

The F2CD004B you suggested is DP to HDMI. I am not sure it can work the other way around. It would need to be tested

• uscdadnyc

Thx DCleri. You are very knowledgeable. cablematters.com has a Product ID 103069-Black Adapter $39.99 (USD) that appears to go: From HDMI-to-DisplayPort. BTW thx for info on CN31 on the UP-Board. It is Not a Direct Connection to eDP. One appears to need an adapter. But this issue is Moot b/c SFR75 mistook DisplayPort for eDP. But the info about CN31 is GTK. (Good To Know)