Recovering HDMI display after headless boot

Options
DoNcK
DoNcK New Member Posts: 4

Hi there !

After booting headless, how to recover HDMI display ? (without rebooting)
I tried to connect my display and the screen enters powersave mode.
I know the board is running fine as I can access the desktop through VNC.

Best regards

Comments

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @DoNcK ,

You should be able to get the HDMI port working with your UP, just connecting the powered display.
    If you don't get it, you could try pressing any key from your USB keyboard to wake up the board.

• JOSHUA SIRKIN
    JOSHUA SIRKIN New Member Posts: 17
    Options

I have the same issue. If there is no monitor hooked up to the upboard when it first boots up, nothing outputs via the hdmi port when I plug in a monitor later. The only way I have found to get anything out of the hdmi is to have the monitor hooked up on boot. Are there any bios changes that can be made to modify this behavior. I have tried with multiple upboards and multiple monitors.

• Jesse Kaukonen
    Jesse Kaukonen New Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Options

I have also seen this - the HDMI cable must be connected at boot. However, UART cables can be plugged in after boot to gain access to the system.

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all,

I tested the HDMI connector on a UP board after booting and I get the image in my monitor automatically when the UP board is already running.

Could you please specify the BIOS version used?

• ard
    ard New Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi @DoNcK
    Can you tell me how you achieved headless booting?
    Installing normal ubilinux and removing desktop manager; or using some specific headless build.
    I'm interested in a headless boot with i2c & uart support, auto-login & then auto-launch my app built using something like qt or gtk.

Edit - I'm already using such app on beaglebone black - they actually provide non-gui OS image. I want to upgrade to up-board for more RAM & better USB/HDMI availability