[SOLVED] Not Getting Any Sound Card for Alsa In Up board Audio HAT ( Ubuntu 16.04 )

hemil
hemil New Member Posts: 5
edited May 2019 in UP Board Linux

I have recently purchased Up Board with Up Board Audio HAT and as connected both the devices and trying to play audio in Ubuntu 16.04, but found that no audio is coming out from Up Board Audio HAT (3.5 mm jack).

I have listed out the audio cards present in ALSA using aplay -l, and i have found card 0 with 3 sub-devices of Intel-HDMI/DP LPE Audio and card 1 with 2 sub-devices of bytcht-nocodec (not sure if these are sub-devices of audio HAT).

I have tried to play audio from HDMI card 0 with all the different sub-devices and found that only from sub-device 2 we are able to get sound rest 2 are nor working.And card 1 is totally not working.

So, Kindly help me out to get sound in Up Board Audio HAT with Ubuntu. The IC used in the device is Realtek ALC5672.

Comments

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @hemil ,

Which kernel are you using for the Ubuntu 16?
    Please, confirm you have the latest UP kernel and try again:
    https://wiki.up-community.org/Ubuntu#Install_Ubuntu_kernel_4.15.0_for_UP_from_PPA

• hemil
    edited January 2019

Hi @ccalde ,

I am already using "Linux 4.15.0-37-generic #40~upboard03-Ubuntu SMP" kernel version for Ubuntu 16.

• hemil
    edited January 2019

These are the results after following the installation process from "https://wiki.up-community.org/Ubuntu#Install_Ubuntu_kernel_4.15.0_for_UP_from_PPA"

We have also tried Installing Ubuntu16.04 using Bootable Ubuntu USB Drive, but the results are the same.

__uname -a__
    "Linux username 4.15.0-37-generic #40~upboard03-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 12 16:21:24 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"

aplay -l
    **List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **
    card 0: Audio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio], device 0: HdmiLpeAudio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Audio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio], device 1: HdmiLpeAudio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio]
    card 0: Audio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio], device 2: HdmiLpeAudio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio]
    card 1: bytchtnocodec [bytcht-nocodec], device 0: Audio () []
    card 1: bytchtnocodec [bytcht-nocodec], device 1: Deep-Buffer Audio (
    ) []

The Kernel version is updated. ** We are getting AudioOut on HDMI(0,2) only while doing speaker test, other than that no audio out is working.**

• Marcello
    Marcello New Member Posts: 156

I confirm that after upgrading to this kernel, the audio disappeared! Is the patch for Atom implemented in this release?

• hemil

Has anyone found the solution for this issue? please respond.

• hemil
    edited February 2019

Can anyone help me out? Please respond as soon as possible.

• jsera
    jsera New Member Posts: 1

I am having the same issue where I lose sound after upgrading on 18.04. Annoying since I am wanting to run an emulator on the UP as well as other apps that would need sound. I tried flashing the 16.04 and following the instructions on the wiki for ubuntu install and upgrading from ppa, but same issue...Anyone have a fix?