This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

Up hardware selection

Options

I am looking at the UP squared. But the assembly is not completly clear to me, therefore some questions. I hope you can answer them so I can continue with the order.

UP squred model:
UP Squared Pentium Quad Core 8GB memory/128GB eMMC
Reference: RE-UPS-APLP4-A10-08128

Because the m.2 2280 AI is not available I would like to install de ssd on that M2 place.
Is the M2 2280 SSD compatible? Some advice?
It should fit, but I can not see it on the picture of:
https://up-shop.org/up-boards/106-up-squared-pentium-quad-core-8gb-memory128gb-emmc.html

Can you confirm that it will fit and work with this config change?

Active or passive cooling? I prefer the alu case, is it with 30W max consumed power ok in such a small casing?
I don't prefer the ABS case with the active cooling.

So will the config work as mentioned:
-UP Squared Pentium Quad Core 8GB memory/128GB eMMC (Ref: RE-UPS-APLP4-A10-08128)
-M.2 2280 SATA SSD (some where to buy)
-mPCIe UP AI Core (Ref: PER-TAIC-A10-001)
-passive cooled case: UP Squared fanless chassis with VESA mounting plate (Ref: EP-CHUPSMTVAUPS)
-UP Squared power supply 5V@6A (Ref: EP-PS5V6A65WUPS)

Kind regards,
Jef

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options

Hi jkogles,

The M.2 slot available on UP Squared supports only WiFi/BT modules (e-key).

If you want to use an additional drive (other than the integrated 128GB eMMC), you can use an external USB3.0 SSD, or the standard SATA port or the mSATA on the miniPCIe slot (in that case you won't be able to fit the AI Core).

If you intend to use for power intensive applications I would suggest to get the optional active cooling and ABS

• jkogels
    jkogels New Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello DCIeri,
    Thanks for your response. Good advise I will use to select the UP2 board.
    Kind regards,
    jeffrey

• rchauvin
    rchauvin New Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hi,

Why the M.2 2230 slot on the UP Squared cannot be used for a M.2 2230 SSD (for instance the SDAPTUW-256G from SanDisk)?
    Alternatively, can we use the m-SATA Converter board (Ref: EP-HTMOSATALY02) to have an additional mSATA port?

Regards,

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options

The M.2 slot on UP Squared is e-key and intended for use with connectivity modules.

Usually the SSD are using a different connector (even if meccanically the same) which is either b-key or m-key.

More information can be found here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Overview-of-M-2-SSDs-586/#Physicalsizeandconnectors

You can use an m-sata converter board as the mPCIE slot offers both sata and pcie interfaces.