UP Squared USB OTG gadget mode not working

Neon123456
Neon123456 New Member Posts: 3

Is there something missing in the wiki to get USB gadget mode working with the UP Squared?

I use the suggested Ubuntu and kernel, latest firmware, the original OTG cable and tried g_serial as described in the wiki.

There are no error messages and everything seems to be ok. But when I connect the other end of the cable then nothing happens, no dmesg output or anything. It seems that the kernel can be configured to be in either device or host mode or both at the same time? The default setting with Ubuntu is both and I can use an USB stick with the OTG cable.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• jan77
    jan77 New Member Posts: 6

Have the same problem (UP2 - 4.9.45-ubilinux+ / BIOS 3.3 - with default settings).
    After doing "sudo modprobe g_serial", the dmesg outputs :
    "udc-core: couldn't find an available UDC - added [g_serial] to list of pending drivers"

• Neon123456

It have tried the same with with g_ether but do not have an error message in dmesg output. It is as if the cable is dead. It would be nice if someone can confirm that this should work with the cable for the UP. I got mine from Texim Europe (OPT-UP-CABLE-USB-001) and it is a white cable.

• Neon123456

It seems to be a problem with USB 3. It is working with an USB 2 micro B cable.

• jan77
    jan77 New Member Posts: 6

Thanks @Neon123456, I'll have to test that out :)

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is that discussion closed?

Was that issue in the USB 3.0?

Thank you!

• raresh_p
    raresh_p New Member Posts: 6

I have the same issue, it worked with g_mass_storage module and some memtest ISOs, now I cannot make it work anymore (to register as a USB FLASH memory to my laptop, or even list it as USB device).
    I have the same UDC error.
    The firmware is updated to latest and the OTG is set on "ACPI" mode in BIOS.

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @raresh_p ,

Could you try to test your OTG using the following instructions?

sudo modprobe g_serial
    sudo systemctl enable getty@ttyGS0
    sudo systemctl start getty@ttyGS0

You must connect the OTG to other machine via USB and check in both endpoints:
    dmesg | tail

Cheers!