Windows 10 - Successful OS and driver install!

praetorian55
praetorian55 New Member Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a bit gathering info for when I finally installed Windows on my Up Core. After some initial pain and some breakthroughs, I wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone else

1. DO NOT install the new "April Release" version 1803 of Windows 10. This will result in the new bluescreen with a 'WDF_VIOLATION" error. I tried installing this in different ways probably 7 or 8 times before I gave up.

2. The 1709 version of Windows 10 (the previous main update before 1803) and it worked just fine.

DRIVERS

I saw plenty of frustrated posts about the drivers not installing correctly and experienced the same thing .

1. The Intel chipset driver installation has a quirk - It would NOT install from my USB, nor my desktop

I believe the quirk is that if the installation setup file is in too many nested folders it fails - The way it's organized in the .zip file doesn't help either. After extracting the path was something like:

C:\Users\MyUser\Desktop\UP core Windows Driver 20180131\Step1-Chipset\WIN10_64\setup.exe

I copied just the "WIN10_64" folder directly to the desktop and the installation worked fine.
(Path was then: c:\users\myuser\desktop\WIN10_64\setup.exe, which was two less folders deep)

1. The included Wifi drivers worked fine! They just take a bit of patience

Make sure to read the readme.txt and copy the 43430r1nvram.txt file to C:\Windows\System32

Then, go to device manager and right click the SDIO adapters that have the yellow exclamation mark - Follow the normal steps to browse to the drivers

IMPORTANT! After initially adding the drivers, the broadcom wifi adapter was stuck in the "could not start" state. All I had to do was to right-click, disable then right-click, enable to get it working

1. Bluetooth drivers worked with 0 issues - simply running the included setup.exe installed the driver with no issues.

I also followed the steps to install the "dummy" drivers, but it's not necessary - They only are there to "hide" the PWM1/PWM2/ADC devices that are not supported in Windows (source: https://forum.up-community.org/discussion/2514/only-three-unknown-devices-left)

Sorry for the long writeup, I hope something I wrote ends up helping someone out!

Comments

• djforbes
    djforbes New Member Posts: 2

Thanks. Good to see a full overview. Completely new to any of this so will try an install in the next few days and let you know how I get on

• djforbes
    djforbes New Member Posts: 2

Update to say I followed the above with no major issues, thank you.
    Up core did not initially detect my Boot USB and kept going to bios. This is because I did not set it up correctly- the solution was covered in another thread on here.

• japi81
    japi81 New Member Posts: 2

Hello guys,

I'm experimenting with those issues with my UP Core.

In my case, I'm using a custom BIOS (splash logo) based on the UCR1BM13 version along with a 7" MIPI display.

I installed an OEM Windows 10 Pro x64 and it installed without problems. However, after the first Windows Update running, the blue screens started to appear and the display started to flicker.

After reading the post from @praetorian55 I'm concern about the Windows version.

Do you guys know if I can use my OEM key in an early version?

Do you guys think the issue with the display is related with the Windows errors?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/comment

• japi81
    japi81 New Member Posts: 2

I forgot to mention that my OEM Windows is version 1803.

Thanks!

• rogertsai(AAEON)
    rogertsai(AAEON) New Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,
    Please don't install the Windows 10 v1803 to your UP CORE! This version has not passed driver testing to verify its compatibility with UP & UP core (Cherry Trail), and we are checking on it. We suggest you to use the Windows 10 under v1709 (1703, 1607, 1603 are ok)
    See the link below for other post, but the same problem with UP board
    Drivers compatible with Windows 10 version 1803?

• rogertsai(AAEON)
    rogertsai(AAEON) New Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,
    With respect to this WDF violation question, we have communicated to the Microsoft. And confirmed that the blue screen error is due to a bug in Win10 v1803. Microsoft is currently expected to fix this issue in the next version of Windows 10, please pay attention to Microsoft for follow-up update.

• BRUSSIEUX
    BRUSSIEUX New Member Posts: 10

i never could have my UP CORE function with W10 PRO:....
    could AAEON support publish a downloadable image containing W10pro + drivers urgently?
    kindest regards

• Earsistemas
    Earsistemas New Member Posts: 27

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to install windows 10 in my new UP CORE. I have followed all the instructions I have found in the community: created the bootable windows 10 USB drive from microsoft side, connected it to the usb port, powered the board, UP logo on screen, some seconds (the usb drive flashes) and... color screen (sometimes red, other green, or blue, or yellow....) I suppose the problem is the video driver, but I can´t install it before the windows instalation. I have tried different pen drives, made them with different software (microsoft side, rufus)...always the same: colored screen.
    Please, any help would be wellcome.
    Thanks

• Samuel100
    Samuel100 New Member Posts: 3

I think if you are having any problem in installing windows, you should directly download the official windows 10 from the official site and work out that way in a pen drive. I have installed my windows like 2 weeks ago with this method and everything is working fine. !

I help people get rid of their sick tired life and I love discovering passive sources of income that most people ignore:)