Windows 10 - Successful OS and driver install!

praetorian55praetorian55 Posts: 4New Member

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a bit gathering info for when I finally installed Windows on my Up Core. After some initial pain and some breakthroughs, I wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone else

1. DO NOT install the new "April Release" version 1803 of Windows 10. This will result in the new bluescreen with a 'WDF_VIOLATION" error. I tried installing this in different ways probably 7 or 8 times before I gave up.

2. The 1709 version of Windows 10 (the previous main update before 1803) and it worked just fine.

DRIVERS

I saw plenty of frustrated posts about the drivers not installing correctly and experienced the same thing .

1. The Intel chipset driver installation has a quirk - It would NOT install from my USB, nor my desktop

I believe the quirk is that if the installation setup file is in too many nested folders it fails - The way it's organized in the .zip file doesn't help either. After extracting the path was something like:

C:\Users\MyUser\Desktop\UP core Windows Driver 20180131\Step1-Chipset\WIN10_64\setup.exe

I copied just the "WIN10_64" folder directly to the desktop and the installation worked fine.
(Path was then: c:\users\myuser\desktop\WIN10_64\setup.exe, which was two less folders deep)

1. The included Wifi drivers worked fine! They just take a bit of patience

Make sure to read the readme.txt and copy the 43430r1nvram.txt file to C:\Windows\System32

Then, go to device manager and right click the SDIO adapters that have the yellow exclamation mark - Follow the normal steps to browse to the drivers

IMPORTANT! After initially adding the drivers, the broadcom wifi adapter was stuck in the "could not start" state. All I had to do was to right-click, disable then right-click, enable to get it working

1. Bluetooth drivers worked with 0 issues - simply running the included setup.exe installed the driver with no issues.

I also followed the steps to install the "dummy" drivers, but it's not necessary - They only are there to "hide" the PWM1/PWM2/ADC devices that are not supported in Windows (source: https://forum.up-community.org/discussion/2514/only-three-unknown-devices-left)

Sorry for the long writeup, I hope something I wrote ends up helping someone out!

Comments

• djforbesdjforbes Posts: 2New Member

Thanks. Good to see a full overview. Completely new to any of this so will try an install in the next few days and let you know how I get on

• djforbesdjforbes Posts: 2New Member

Update to say I followed the above with no major issues, thank you.
    Up core did not initially detect my Boot USB and kept going to bios. This is because I did not set it up correctly- the solution was covered in another thread on here.