[SOLVED] Crashes on Heavy-Duty graphic usage

Pascal
Pascal New Member Posts: 11
edited June 2019 in UP Squared Linux

Hey,

my up² runs the most recent ubilinux. If I start Kodi and start a movie (Full HD), after a random time the system resets itself. I first thought this might be a power-relatet problem, but voltage is stable an I never saw a current over 2 Amps...

I had the same problem using windows 10 until I installed the most recent Intel GPU driver.

Do you have any suggestions were to start? I'd really like to see this system work...

PS: Not unsing Kodi (running the server headless) it works smooth even 24/7.

Tagged:

Comments

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod

Hi Pascal,

Could you send me the output of this troubleshooting script on your UP2 while running Kodi?
    https://wiki.up-community.org/File:Sysinfo.zip

• koriwi
    koriwi New Member Posts: 2

hi, i have the same problem.
    when watching netflix, after random time, my up² restarts.
    Temps are good.
    only happening when youtube or netflix is running for a longer time.
    idle is fine.

will post script output later

• 4ng3l
    4ng3l New Member Posts: 6

I have just the same problem: after a while working on Kodi under Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon or running Batocera x64 it crashes and reboots... Will active cooling solve this? I would rather know it than waste my money!

• 4ng3l
    edited April 2018

Please, anyone has notice some improvement after upgrading to active cooling?

• 4ng3l

A week ago I upgraded to active cooling my UP Squared based on Pentium . I still have to perform several more tests, but it seems that active cooling improves performance quite fine and prevents that system to reboot randomly.

• koriwi
    koriwi New Member Posts: 2

Mine even reboots with a 120mm fan attached :/
    Moderators, pls.
    I don't want to RMA it

• mow
    mow New Member Posts: 1

I had similar issues.
    Even to the point where my UP crashed on X startup (it showed a graphical screen during boot but crashed before showing a graphical login.
    Before (depending on installed system/kernel) I had cases where X started but failed as soon as videos were shown or videos crashed somewhere during playing.

I always considered that a software issue, but it turned out, the machine was underpowered. I ran it (N4200 cpu, 8GB of RAM and a 2.5" sata HD attached) with the 4A (20W) power supply I got with the board, and that seems to be too little at least in some peaks.
    When I finally understood that this is a power supply issue, I switched to a 6A (30W) power supply and now it runs just fine.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed that UP did not provide more clear hints that the provided power supply is not suitable to run the UP² except in minimal configurations (without the disk it would have probably worked). At least I did not see any.
    I got the machine in the initial kickstarter campain.

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @mow,

Sorry for reading that, but the necessary information about the set up and hardware information about the UP2 is in the Wiki:
    https://wiki.up-community.org/Up_Board_Setup#Basic_requirements
    https://wiki.up-community.org/Hardware#UP_Squared

I hope the information is clear enough for running your UP2 board successfully.