BIOS V3.3 for UP Squared is released

Aling
Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin

Comments

• David
    David New Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2018

I updated to that version right now and i think my up squared is dead now. I get no video output anymore,the blue power LED is on.

What to do now?

Edit: Nevermind - i took about 5 reboots to get it back online. In case someone else has this problem.

• jnwc
    jnwc New Member Posts: 2

Hello. My BIOS is currently displaying Version 2.1. Is it safe to upgrade to 3.3 from 2.1?

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod

Hi @jnwc,

It should be safe to upgrade from 2.1 to 3.3. (The only required intermediate upgrade that is documented is from BIOS 1.3 to BIOS 1.8.)

• jnwc
    jnwc New Member Posts: 2

@Javier Arteaga said:
    Hi @jnwc,

It should be safe to upgrade from 2.1 to 3.3. (The only required intermediate upgrade that is documented is from BIOS 1.3 to BIOS 1.8.)

Thanks Javier. I just wanted to double check before I accidentally bricked my board.

• bhaisty
    bhaisty New Member Posts: 2

When upgrading to 3.3, I get a Warning: Not all of the file data will be written to flash because the file is longer than the flash area to be written to!
    File: "UPA1AM33.BIN:
    File Length: 16777216
    Write Length: 16773120

It finishes, and seemed to work. I installed the windows IOT fft on a USB stick and it worked for a few hours, but now it boots to the BIOS setup and I can't get past it. When I exit the BIOS, it restarts the BIOS setup again.

Any ideas?

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    edited February 2018

@bhaisty said:
    When upgrading to 3.3, I get a Warning: Not all of the file data will be written to flash because the file is longer than the flash area to be written to!
    It finishes, and seemed to work. I installed the windows IOT fft on a USB stick and it worked for a few hours, but now it boots to the BIOS setup and I can't get past it. When I exit the BIOS, it restarts the BIOS setup again.

Any ideas?

If you press F7 after boot (or enter the BIOS setup menu and navigate to the boot menu), can you still see your Windows boot stick listed there? If not, could you try with a different USB stick that's bootable? You can use any Windows install media or Linux distribution to test.

• LemmingOverlord
    LemmingOverlord New Member Posts: 10

I get the same issue as bhaisty. Upgrading from 2.1 to 3.3.

What is going on? Should I be worried it'll ruin the BIOS?

• Darth_Ender
    Darth_Ender New Member Posts: 11

I'm about to get mine. I looked at the wiki and it said you shouldn't try upgrading the bios until after you installed an OS. Is this a mistake in the wiki or is there some reason why bios upgrading would care about having an OS installed or not? I'm not understanding why that connection is being made on the wiki instructions.

Anyways, I guess i'll find out about 3.3 soon enough. Bleeding edge ftw.

• WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201

@bhaisty said:

Any ideas?

I had the same warning, but it seems to work fine, anyways. It would be nice to get an official reply as to what is going on, though.

• Darth_Ender
    Darth_Ender New Member Posts: 11

So i flashed the 3.3 bios on my new N4200 Up^2. Worked fine despite the warning.

I changed a number of bios settings that seemed reasonable for what would be a headless computer (low gpu memory, no audio, no sata (i'm using the emmc only). However, the linux kernel was throwing an absolute fit when booting due to some mmc reset/load problem. This was not an mmc speed issue either. I had to set the bios back to default settings and then everything was happy. I suspect it was my sata settings but i did not spend a ton of time changing one setting at a time and rebooting. Defaults worked and I'll revisit turning things off i dont need later.

• plbossart
    plbossart New Member Posts: 1

the update from BIOS 2.1 to BIOS 3.3 fails on my new Up^2 board.

Once I reach the EFI shell, I get
    GO,nsh> Fpt_3.1.50.2222.efi -f UPA1AM33.bin -y
    assertion "tmp != NULL" failed: file "sys\open/c", line 171
    GO.nsh> Fpt_3.1.50.2222.efi -greset

And I reboot in BIOS 2.1

What I am missing? I bought this new one precisely because I couldn't do the update on another board I thought was bricked.

• Michael Wachs
    Michael Wachs New Member Posts: 19

Hello,

I've updated the firmware of my UP Squared from 2.1 to 3.3.
    The admin password "upassw0rd" ist not valid any more!
    What is the new password please?

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

• asilva
    asilva New Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2018

hi, sorry to hijack this thread.. but i just update to version 3.3 and now is not booting... did it happen to you? how to solve it?

My previous bios was 2.1

EDIT: i managed to solve it after unplug the board 5v battery, it reset settings, It boots now!!

Regards.

• kloczek
    kloczek New Member Posts: 10

BIOS update SOP –
    1. Put files from BIOS package into UEFI bootable USB drive.

Is it not would be better to distribute BIOS upgrade as USB image?

• Watherson
    Watherson New Member Posts: 5

Is there an official statement about whether it’s safe to up grade to v33 from v21??

• Stalin
    Stalin New Member Posts: 2

Is there an official statement, when the Innovator boards will have a bios update?

It get's a little bit annoying that there is still NO FIX for Meltdown/Spectre...

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin

For innovator board, it is not possible for BIOS update because the 40-pin FPGA code is different from the mass production version. I will discuss with our team if there is any solution for it.

• xauser
    xauser New Member Posts: 3

What about "Warning: Not all of the file data will be written to flash"
    Is there an official statement on this issue? I won't update any bios if it's expected to fail, this would be a nightmare.

• kloczek
    edited April 2018

'Just updated my BIOS and I found two thinhgs not listed in list of chages:

• it is no longer possible to enable S.M.A.R.T. disks test
    • the same is with secure boot

Bugs or new features?

BTW: why it is not possible to boot from mSATA connected to mini PCI?

• xauser
    xauser New Member Posts: 3

Did you have the issue with "not all file data will be written to flash"?

• kloczek
    edited April 2018

Yes, I saw this message on the beggining about bin file but it was not flagged as an error.
    Just notyfication.

• rogertsai(AAEON)
    rogertsai(AAEON) New Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Don't worry about that BIOS file length warning, this is only an inform from BIOS flash tool, and does not affect to UP^2
    Just a tips, when you have finished update BIOS to v3.3, you will need to re-power on and wait for minutes about 1 or 2 for the BIOS initialization. The screen will be back when an initial load is finished. And the "upassw0rd" passwords still available on v3.3, by the way.

• kloczek

when you have finished update BIOS to v3.3, you will need to re-power on and wait for minutes about 1 or 2 for the BIOS initialization. The screen will be back when an initial load is finished. And the "upassw0rd" passwords still available on v3.3, by the way.

This should be in release notes :-/
    After BIOS upgrade I was scared by this that upgrade failed.

• Stino
    Stino New Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2018

The instruction says:"Do not flash this BIOS version on UP Squared Innovator boards (EVT2)", would be usefull if it was explained how to check this.

• r0h
    r0h New Member Posts: 19

@Aling this link is now broken. Can you put it back up? I would like to flash v3.3 onto my board to experiment with DCI support.