This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

Power Supply Specs UP Squared

Hey,

I would like to use my Up Squared in a mobile way. That is, I won't have access to a power outlet.

I have several batteries at my disposal, but I'm wondering if it is possible to know the range of input voltages that can be applied to the power DC jack. Also, is there another way of powering the board than using the jack ?

Thanks !

Tagged:

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin

Instead of DC jack, you can also power the board from 40-pin.
    There are some mobile HATs on the market, you may check if it fits your need. https://shop.olmatic.de/en/9-ups-up-board.

• mpetitje
    mpetitje New Member Posts: 5

Thanks for the information.

Does that mean it is sufficient to connect a voltage supply to a 5V pin of the GPIOs ? Is there somewhere I can find the maximal current that can flow in this GPIO ?

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin

5V@4A is fine.

• Eric
    Eric New Member Posts: 16

To confim/clarify; If we wish to power the up squared through the 40-pin connector this is fine. To do so we should:

• Supply regulated 5v through pins (per this diagram in the manual).

• just 2 ?
      • just 4 ?
      • both ?
    • Which grounds should we connect?

• 6,9? just 6? just 9?
    • Is the 3.3v provided back to the hat via on-board regulation? or do we need to supply that too?

Specific guidance would be appreciated. We're powering our up squared via a 24v 2000mah battery with a 5v 10a regulator, (through the barrel connector). If we can power it through an on board connection, it's a big improvement in our packaging.

• Eric
  • nukular
    nukular New Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

from an electrical point of view just 1 pin each would probably be just fine, but it also doesn't hurt to connect them all and is probably even better (better connection), so that is what I would do (and will do, since I am also planning to power by board this way)

• Eric

@nukular thanks for your answer, but I'm looking to get an official response, and one that covers whether we need to supply 3.3v as well.

@Aling , can you please respond regarding the above questions? This forum leaves a lot to be desired when Admins/AAeon folks don't bother to respond to legitimate questions. Is there a proper support form to place technical inquiries and actually get a response?

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

To power your board you will need 5V and 4-6A for the jack connector input.

About the 40-pin connector, you can use the 5V and 3.3V input pins to provide power to the board, 1A will be enough for each pin.

Cheers!

• catapam
    catapam New Member Posts: 1

Hey,

I have a similar problem.
    But i don't find any information about It.

For the jack we need 5v/6a input. Ok.
    But, If we use that UPS extention by the 40-pin, @ccalde says that 3.3v/1a it's enought.
    How does It work? Because, it's a big diference.
    And in that case, to recharge the batteries it conects the energy by Jack on the motherboard?

What is the real energy need for the board?

I'm a begginer in Up2. So, Maybe my questions are stupid.

Thanks.

• nukular
    nukular New Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

No, @ccalde said you can use the5 5V and 3.3V input pins and supply 1A to each of them. There are 2 5V pins and 2 3.3V pins, so that would make 4A total.

However, you do not need to supply 3.3V only 5V, because that is generated from the 5V line by a voltage regulator on the board. I just tested that and it works perfectly fine. Anything else would have really surprised me.
    In fact, unless someone official can give me a good explanation as to why you would want to/need to supply 3.3V, I would strongly advice against that. Because essentially what you would be doing is connecting 2 different 3.3V power sources in parallel. And that in generally not a good idea, because the voltages are never exactly the same.

As to the power consumption: I just did a quick test with a multimeter and measured ~2A when all 4 cores where under load (no GPU load though). There could of course have been peaks that the multimeter just didn't pick up. If you have USB devices or other peripherals connected that would course increase the power consumption.

So my advice is: Use a 5V and at least 4A-5A power supply, if you want to be on the safe side use 6A just like the "normal" brick power supply.
    Use both 5V pins and make sure your PCB, your wires or whatever you are using can handle that current.

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

HI all,

Yes @nukular , you said it clear. You can use the 5V and 3V3 to power your board. But, for the normal use 5V will be enough.
    Also, about the consumption, the board could work with less than 4A but again, for a normal work you will need at least 4A.

As you can see in the Wiki, 5V at 4-6A is fine:
    https://wiki.up-community.org/Hardware_Specification_UP2#Power_Supply_Specifications

Cheers!

• TimoK93
    TimoK93 New Member Posts: 27 ✭✭

Hey all,

you said that you can use the Pins of the 40 Pin header for power supply.
    My first question: If I use the 5V Pin for power supply, is the current regulated like supplying it with the power Jack? So in other words: Is the 5V Pin exactly the same as 5V power jack?

The second question: Am i able to use the Fan-power connectoror the SATA-power connector for power supply instead of the Power-Jack? If yes -> Repeat the first question for this case!

A response would be very nice!
    Kind regards,
    Timo