Video tearing

Options
MICHAEL A POPE
MICHAEL A POPE New Member Posts: 8
I just installed ubilinux 4.0 today on my new Up Squared P4200 8GB and as I was playing some 1080p content from local storage which I recorded from the TV I noticed some slight video tearing. Is there anything I can adjust?

I tested in Kodi 17.1 and also in VLC, both have a very slight video tearing. It's completely watchable and I can live with it, I was just interested if there is a better kernel module to install or setting to tweak.

Comments

• WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Syncing to display refresh-rate is dependent on the player, both Kodi and VLC offer a setting for this. Under Kodi the setting is called "Sync playback to display" ( Link ) In VLC I think the setting should be enabled by default.

Now, the above said, have you tried any other video? Maybe the tearing is in your recording itself?
  • MICHAEL A POPE
    Options
    I have double checked kodi and I have the "Sync playback to display" on kodi 17.1 and tested through VLC as well, same problem. I've checked with another video, same problem. I tested both of these videos on my gaming rig and they worked fine so it's not the video. I also tested them on my old notebook (2012) and it worked fine there too.

Is there anything else I can try? Should I try the 'testing' repo? or maybe a different Linux Distro than UbiLinux?
  • MICHAEL A POPE
    Options
    I managed to fix it.

Put the following into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Graphics"
    Driver "intel"
    Option "TearFree" "true"
    EndSection

NOTE: I had to create that file.