UP Board does not boot, heatsink problem?

Options
Hello,

I received my second UP Board today and after connecting the keyboard, PSU and HDMI screen I powered it up but it did not output anything on the HDMI. I tried many times to disconnect everything, including the battery, but I was always stuck in one of those two patterns:

Fan rotating and blue light flashing during 1 second then all off.
Fan rotating and blue light fixed indefinitely, but no HDMI output.

Then I noticed that the heatsink that was already glued when I received my board was not well glued: it does not touch on of the chip (and maybe it could create a short somewhere else?). Here is a video showing the problem: https://youtu.be/439AFo6tBPM

Could it be related to my UP Board not booting?

Thank,
Yann.

Comments

• Nicola Lunghi
    Nicola Lunghi Emutex Posts: 131 mod
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi
    can you shot a video of the board not booting?
    what power supply are you using?
    can you see something on the serial console?

Best Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • Yann
    Yann New Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Nicola,

Ok, I think I got it, you were right about the power supply. I was using a laboratory linear power supply set on 5 Volts and 4 Amps max. So it could not directly be because of the power supply, but it was because of the voltage drop along the cable and the DC connector I was using. The wire was too thin and I got a voltage drop of 0.6V @500mA. The UP Board was only draining 500mA and was not booting. I used another PSU 5V / 10A and it booted.

Sorry the trouble, but when I saw my heatsink moving I thought it could be related to that.

Nevertheless I have a problem with my heatsink right? It is not supposed to move like that and stick/unstick a chip depending on the pressure I apply with my finger?

Regards,
    Yann.
  • Nicola Lunghi
    Nicola Lunghi Emutex Posts: 131 mod
    Options
    Hi Yann,

Glad that you solve your problem.

> Nevertheless I have a problem with my heatsink right? It is not supposed to move like that and stick/unstick a chip depending on the pressure I apply with my finger?

The heatsink is fixed to the top of the chips with a thermal conductivity pad that is elastic attached with a thermal conductive adhesive that has some elasticity to compensate for different height of the chip.
    If the heatsink stays attached to the board and the chip are touching it you are fine (as long as you don't press too hard).

Regards,
    Nicola Lunghi