I'm trying to install openelec

Bas Horneman
Bas Horneman New Member Posts: 22
edited August 2017 in UP Squared Linux
Openelec image on usb stick. Boot up with it. Install to emmc. reboot..and there you go.

However ...the up2 does not boot up from emmc?

Any tips?

Comments

• Duane Goodman
    Duane Goodman New Member Posts: 33
    I don't think OpenELEC supports UP Squared. You are better off installing Ubuntu and adding Kodi, that way you get basically the same functionality, plus the option to add extra. This is what I will be doing when I receive mine, only difference is I run on LibreELEC now because OpenELEC is rarely updated anymore.
  • Bas Horneman
    Mmmm...They do support x86 architecture. Was a no brainer installing it on my Udoo x86.

Even though there could be something amiss with the image. Udoo should still try to boot up on with emmc right?
  • Bas Horneman
    edited August 2017
    In the bios I can see MMC - HAG4a2 that must be it. But What mode must it be in ? Any documentation on the emmc and how to enable it?
  • Duane Goodman
    Duane Goodman New Member Posts: 33
    Are you sure they support it UDOO? Isn't it just generic Intel CPU support. Otherwise pin support, HDMI CEC and hardware acceleration you probably won't get.
  • Bas Horneman
    Yes. it is just generic Intel CPU support.
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Hi Triodefreak,

The eMMC should be enabled by default.

Up Squared requires a Linux OS which supports UEFI boot and now all the major distributions enable this boot option.

Are you sure OpenElec supports UEFI Boot? I am not able to find any information on their website about this.

About the Linux Kernel support for UP Squared, if your distribution has a 4.9 kernel or newer you will get most of the features enabled, except the 40 pin header.
  • Bas Horneman
    edited August 2017
    Hi dcleri,

The UP2 boots up with the OpenElec installer onthe USB stick.

The eMMC is visible to the OpenElec installer.

The OpenElec installer does not report errors when installing openelec on the emmc.

On the USB it has a folder EFI. So it seems that it supports UEFI?

After booting up though...Up2 goes straight to the bios. I then thought...ofcourse it needs to know that it must boot up from the eMMC. But booting up sequence has no option for eMMC?

So I thought...perhaps the eMMC is seen like a hard disk.

So I selected hard disk as primary bootup.

But the Up2 goes straight to the bios again.
  • Jeroen van Jaarsveld
    Jeroen van Jaarsveld New Member Posts: 7
    Can you check if the eMMC has an EFI folder on it? If it hasn't then that would be a reason for it not to show up in the boot options. Which would mean that the installer installed it as a legacy BIOS boot device which (I think) isn't supported by UP2.

Sadly I'm unable to test this as I haven't received my UP2 yet.
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    As Jeroenvj mentioned, I think the installer (even if it supports uefi) may have performed a legacy boot installation.

My suggestion would be to use an Ubuntu live usb, and via gparted remove all the partitions on the eMMC.
    Once done, try to re-install the system with the openElec installer.

Another thing to do could be to ask in the openElec forum if the image they provide supports UEFI Boot.

There are other alternative to openElec, like LibreElec or eventually install Ubuntu 16.04 with our kernel on top and add Kodi from the official kodi team repository.
  • Bas Horneman
    edited August 2017
    How can one see if there is anything on the eMMc? Since the only thing you see is the BIOS? Or OpenElec installer.
  • Bas Horneman
    edited August 2017
    Or should I have created a partion first with some kind of bootable os?

Will do the: My suggestion would be to use an Ubuntu live usb....thing you suggested.
  • Bas Horneman
    edited September 2017
    I tried libreelec. Since they have a special installer for putting the image on usb. Perhaps that would work for openelec as well. Might try it this weekend. Anyway...Libreelec installed on the eMMC without a problem. Thanks for all of you who helped.

Kind regards