Video resolution with displayport?

Kai Klintworth
Kai Klintworth New Member Posts: 23
Hi.

Within the packing list I saw that the video resolution with HDMI is limit to 1080p. Isn't it possible to use WHQD?

If not, is it possible to use WHQD with displayport? Within Windows 10 I can select 2560x1440.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Comments

• Stefan Smietanowski
    Stefan Smietanowski New Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2017
    Hi, I can't say that it works or not but it SHOULD work to use 2560x1440 / 2560x1600. My screen in front of me doesn't do above 1920x1200 over HDMI for some reason while my work screen does.

The DisplayPort is a full DisplayPort 1.2a so 3840x2160@60Hz should just work. With should just work I mean the specifications clearly state it should work.

Good luck and if you get to test it, please write your findings here so others can see.

// Stefan
  • Kai Klintworth
    Hi.

I just tested it and it works, but I had some "breaks". It seems that it looses connection from time to time for less than a second. Because screen is getting black shortly in intervals. Have to check that again next days.

Regards
  • Stefan Smietanowski
    Just so we're clear - when you say you tested it - did you mean using HDMI or using DP ? I'm going to try mine over DP in a few minutes. (2560x1600).

// Stefan
  • Kai Klintworth
    I tested it via DP.
  • Kai Klintworth
    I just found this about intel integrated graphic:

"Intel graphics does not support dual-link, therefore 1920x1200 is the maximum for DVI and HDMI, 2560x1440 is only possible with a displayport port."

@stesmi

When you test it with DP soon please let me know if you also have short interrupts to the monitor in intervals.
  • Stefan Smietanowski
    edited March 2017
    Hi lulu99,

I am currently testing my screen over DP and it works fine. No glitches, etc. Using a Live Kubuntu 17.04beta2 and installing Kodi right now to stress it a little and see if anything goes weird.

But - that statement is wrong, sorry but it is.

There is no such thing as a Dual Link HDMI. Single/Dual Link DVI - yes absolutely. And you need a Dual Link DVI to drive above 1920x1200.

HDMI 1.4b has the bandwidth to drive 2560x1600@60Hz. What several monitors don't do however is that they do not report resolutions above that. If you find a way to override it many monitors happily run at higher.

One person that has a DELL 27" uses the following in an Xubuntu Linux environment, but I don't know what graphics he has.

His monitor-settings shell script:

#/bin/sh
    xrandr --newmode "2560x1440_41.00" 163.711 2560 2608 2640 2720 1440 1443 1448 1468 -hsync -vsync
    xrandr --addmode HDMI1 "2560x1440_41.00"
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode "2560x1440_41.00"
    xrandr --output eDP1 --mode "1920x1080"
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --left-of eDP1

Will get back to you with more info soon after I've tested Kodi for a few minutes.

// Stefan
  • Stefan Smietanowski
    I tried it and I get no glitches whatsoever. I would look at the cabling. I have similar glitches (rarely) on my NUC connected through my Denon X4200 to my Plasma TV in my living room. I think it's due to cabling in my instance. Try reconnecting the cables, etc and see if that makes a difference or see if you can't find another cable lying around.

// Stefan
  • Kai Klintworth
    Thanks for the info. Cable is fine because I used my high performance cable that I use between my computer and the monitor. So this is not the problem. I will install an Ubuntu next week and see if it happens there too. Otherwise it is perhaps a problem coming from the Windows installation. Then I will try it again installing Windows.

I will see....

Good to hear that all works fine with your installation. Perhaps you can check the power consumption in idle desktop with your Kubuntu to compare it with my Windows figures in the other thread... :-)
  • Stefan Smietanowski
    Hey.

Anytime. What I meant with cable issue could be not quite connected as well, hence try reconnecting it, etc and see if that makes a difference.

And yes, I can do that. Was going to run some power tests later any way but why wait? :D

// Stefan
  • Kai Klintworth
    Next week I have more time to take of my issue :-)
  • Gilbert Turner
    Gilbert Turner New Member Posts: 5
    HDMI worked fine at QHD under Fedora Branched