Active cooler

Marcello
Marcello New Member Posts: 156
Hi, I received boards and active coolers. However no instructions are included on how to install and connect it. Is it supposed to draw power from the gpio connector? In the CPLD connector I see also a fan pwm pin, except that this cooler does not have pwm control.
Could you please clarify? Thank you.

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    edited August 2016
    Please check here for SOP to replace the cooler. We will soon upload it to the "Documentation"area.
    If there is anything unclear, please let us know. Thanks![ul]
    [li][/li]
    [li][/li]
    [/ul]
  • BytesGuy
    BytesGuy New Member Posts: 2
    The document doesn't say if the fan is PWM or not. Does it run at full speed all the time?
  • Marcello
    Well... with two wires only and connected to 5V / GND it's an easy guess... :(
  • BytesGuy
    BytesGuy New Member Posts: 2
    Yes true. Wasn't sure if they were doing any PWM on the 5v somehow, or even just activating it at a threshold temp.
  • Aling
    The fan will be running at full speed all the time. Based on our test, it is very quiet.
    We would like to have 4-wire fan, so that we can control the fan to turn on when it is needed, however, there is no standard product in the market at this moment.
    If you happen to know any 4-wire miniature fan, we will be happy to test.
  • gat
    gat New Member Posts: 20
    hello pourqoui it is not provided the basic up really very hot
    and it is expensive in the shop you speak gift for late July 14 .......
  • Aling
    Hi gat,
    I don't understand your message. Can you rephase it again ? Thanks!
  • gat
    hello you are talking about a gift for the delay in delivery would be well
  • Aling
    Hi gat, Sorry, I still can not understand your message very well. If it is about the active cooler, the active cooler is an optional accessory, not a gift. I am afraid there is some misunderstanding. You can always purchase the cooler at UP shop.
  • gat
    I thought ungeste be made ​​for late shipments

I always expect the case in plasique

the sink is 24 dollard tax included I find expensive
    principally made that the card heats up quicklyje croyait que ungeste serait fait pour les envois tardif

j attend toujours le boitier en plasique

le dissipateur vaut 24 dollard taxe incluse je trouve cher
    surtous que la carte chauffe vite
  • Marcello
    edited August 2016
    AlingWu wrote:
    Please check here for SOP to replace the cooler. We will soon upload it to the "Documentation"area.
    If there is anything unclear, please let us know. Thanks![ul]
    [li][/li]
    [li][/li]
    [/ul]

Following your instructions I installed the active cooler. Conceptually easy, a bit scary though as at some point I was afraid of ripping the chips off the board....
    I must say it is quiet and it does indeed Keep the board much cooler.
  • Mike Kopack
    Mike Kopack New Member Posts: 6
    Ok, finally got my board with the active cooler. Installed the heatsink/fan, but I'm utterly confused on how to hook up the connector... The instructions say to hook it to the bottom 2 pins on CN34.... That SHOULD be +5 and GND, but my board is missing the +5 pin!!! W.T.F. ???

NOT a happy camper!!!
  • Korneliusz
    Korneliusz New Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2016
    What do you mean by saying "no 5V pin"? physical missing pin? or no +5V voltage?

xMKmD7Y.png
  • Mike Kopack
    Correct. No physical pin in the lower left position on that header block. I have 5 pins on the left column, 6 on the right. Wtf???

If I have to I'll just snip the connector on the fan and replace it with one to use off the gpio 5V and GND but a bit mad that I'd have to hack it like that.
  • Aling
    There is an exchange SOP in the shop. http://up-shop.org/up-peripherals/64-active-cooler-fan-for-the-up-board.html
    We will put this SOP in community soon.
    If there is anything unclear in this SOP, please let us know. thanks!
  • jimdomandroid
    jimdomandroid New Member Posts: 8
    so will my 4gb/32gb upboard throttle without this playing games?
  • Aling
    Hi jimdomandroid,

If the game takes a lot of CPU & GPU resources,such as 3D game, I will recommend to have a cooler.
  • Josef Rogovsky
    Josef Rogovsky New Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for starting this thread.

I had the same concern with pulling the chips off the board.

I got to use the fancy electronics tweezers I just bought to connect the power!
  • Mike Kopack
    Ok, correction... The pin was there, it was just so bent that it looked like it wasn't. Was showing the board off to my local robotics club this morning. One of the other members looked at it and was able to see the other pins (Damn my old person eyes!) and we were able to bend it back and attach the fan to it. Fan now works...
  • Josef Rogovsky
    Josef Rogovsky New Member Posts: 19
    Glad you got that resolved. It's too bad that your pin was bent.

I know what you mean by "old person eyes". I had to use tweezers and a magnifying glass to connect mine.
  • Marcello
    mkopack wrote:
    Ok, correction... The pin was there, it was just so bent that it looked like it wasn't. Was showing the board off to my local robotics club this morning. One of the other members looked at it and was able to see the other pins (Damn my old person eyes!) and we were able to bend it back and attach the fan to it. Fan now works...
    I am so glad to hear that i am not the only old man in this forum....