Failing to install Hailo PCIE driver / DKMS setup on UpSquared6000 Help?????

TimP
TimP New Member Posts: 11

I have an upsquared6000 board - i am trying and failing to get to work with the Hailo8 device - this is a software config problem. 1/ Downloaded Ubuntu20.04 IoT desktop 2/ sudo apt install dkms seemed to work ok 3/ran the prerequisites.sh from the Up Hailo Wiki Download this worked ok until it cam to compiling and installing the PCIe driver - which failed with -
[Warning] Failed to install PCIe driver to the DKMS tree. Trying to install PCIe driver without DKMS
[Error] Failed to clean the PCIe driver.
[Error] See full log: /home/tim/Downloads/Installer/.install_logs/log

The device is present and can be seen with lspci as:
02:00.0 Co-processor: Device 1e60:2864 (rev 01)

Help!!!!

Answers

• camillus
    camillus Administrator, Moderator, AAEON Posts: 188 admin

Hi @TImP,

Please make sure you installed the correct linux-headers. For the Ubuntu20.04 IoT image it uses the 5.13 linux headers. You can find the kernel version with command uname -r and install the correct Linux header for the kernel.

• TimP

Yes the correct headers have been installed: reported as: Linux kernel headers for version 5.13.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP

I have to say trying to get the Hailo working with the UpSquared6000 has been VERY unsuccessful. I have wasted many hours on it. Perhaps step back to the beginning. This page says to use 20.04.4

https://github.com/up-board/up-community/wiki/Ubuntu_20.04.4 and all of the rest of the Hailo install seems to assume this. And indeed this is what is referred to in the getting started with Hailo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ookjOPzhIxc

BUT this page says if you have an Up Sqaured 6000 you should use the intel-iot version

https://github.com/up-board/up-community/wiki/Ubuntu

If you do the latter you get 5.13 kernel - I can't seem to make that work with hailo.

So please clarify with that WHICH VERSION OF LINUX on the UpSqaured6000 if you want to use Hailo would be an excellent start.

• camillus
    edited July 2022

Hi @TimP,

Please use the Ubuntu 20.04-intel-iot image. After that, when you are installing Hailo following the guide from https://github.com/up-board/up-community/wiki/Hailo , please install the right header. Instead of sudo apt install dkms linux-headers-5.4.0-1-generic please use the right header, I believe it is linux-headers-5.13.0-1008-intel. I hope this helps.

• TimP

Hi Camillus, NO that doesn't work....I went back to scratch again over the last couple of hours
    The complete set of things i have done is as follows having formatted the drive:-

1. re-install 20.04 iot from usb key
    2. install nfs-common
    3. set fixed ip and a network drive in fstab
    4. sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
      {This guarantees the correct headers which in my case is 5.13.0-1017-intel} and that installs ok
    5. Download prerequisites_setup.sh and TAPPAS_v3.17.0_withPCIeDriver.zip from the links provided
    6. reboot
    7. chmod +x prerequisites_setup.sh
      8 ./prerequisites_setup.sh
      which after a lot of output gets to installing the PCIe driver for Hailo, this gives the following output
      Unpacking hailort-pcie-driver (4.6.0) ...
      Setting up hailort (4.6.0) ...
      Setting up hailort-pcie-driver (4.6.0) ...
      Do you wish to use DKMS? [Y/n]:
      Failed to install PCIe driver to the DKMS tree. Trying to install PCIe driver without DKMS

The script completes but clearly this is the failure that is relevant.

• camillus
    edited July 2022

Hi @TimP.

I have just reinstalled Hailo on an UP Squared 6000 device and I do not get the error. Did you download the image via the Wiki like I suggested previously?

When you download the image the correct headers is this below:

Please try with this image and let me know.

• TimP

Thanks Camillus for your patience - but I am really confused as to why we are getting different results, i downloaded the link you gave me to the image above, but still got same failure...

"Setting up hailort-pcie-driver (4.6.0) ...
    Failed to install PCIe driver to the DKMS tree. Trying to install PCIe driver without DKMS"

I wonder if this is because either I (a) clicked on 'download updates while installing' or (b) did sudo apt update, sudo apt upgrade?

uname -r gives me
    5.13.0-1017-intel which is different to you?
    I'll do yet another install and not click upgrades or do updates and see what i get

• camillus

Hi @TimP ,

It is okay to click on 'download updates while installing' and sudo apt update, however I did not run the apt upgrade, you can skip that and try it again.

• TimP
    edited July 2022

Well installing yet again without checking the 'download updates' button (or infact unchecking it as it is checked by default) now gives me 5.13.0-1008-intel which is the same as you

sudo uname -r
    5.13.0-1008-intel

BUT:-

It STILL fails in the same way (snipped from the prerequisites script output)
    Unpacking hailort-pcie-driver (4.6.0) ...
    Failed to install PCIe driver to the DKMS tree. Trying to install PCIe driver without DKMS
    Please reboot your computer for the installation to take effect.

Here is the complete history on the computer since the latest (9th?) install of linux

:~/Downloads$ history
    1 sudo uname -r
    2 sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    3 ls -l
    4 sudo reboot now

(Download the tappas and prereq script from browser then -)

5  chmod +x prerequisites_setup.sh
    6  ./prerequisites_setup
    7  ./prerequisites_setup.sh

lspci shows the device is present

02:00.0 Co-processor: Device 1e60:2864 (rev 01)

• TimP

No it still doesnt work -

Went back to the beginning - reinstalled no updates

got the same version as you now

5.13.0-1008-intel

Here is complete history since reinstall

tim@UP:~/Downloads$ history
    1 sudo uname -r
    2 sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    3 ls -l
    4 sudo reboot now
    5 chmod +x prerequisites_setup.sh
    6 ./prerequisites_setup
    7 ./prerequisites_setup.sh
    8 sudo uname -r
    9 history

Still get

• camillus
    edited July 2022

Hi @TimP ,

Can you please outline your installation steps, from what I see you skipped to install dkms in your second step? It should be sudo apt install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r) Please check the Wiki

• TimP

ah that maybe it - more haste less speed!