Support for Up-Board with Ubuntu 20.04LTS

Options
muawijhe
muawijhe New Member Posts: 2

Hi,
first of all, congrats for the nice product :)

We are a SME operating within the Marine Robotics field. We are currently developing a monitoring sea buoy for emergency robotics scenario.

For the sea buoy (and to evaluate the solution for coming fleet of autonomous underwater systems) we bought the up-board.

First impression is very good and also performances testing compiling time of large ROS2 projects. However, I noticed that SPI is not properly detected.

Did I miss something?

I noticed that support for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS was scheduled for Q3 2020. What is the status?

I hope you can help me, our demonstration deadline is in December and we need SPI to enable voltage monitoring onboard of the sea buoy through a raspberry-shield using both SPI and I2C (io explorer from abelectronics).

We already successfully used the shield in a raspberry pi 4 project (the rugged portable control station of this project). However, in the long term we would like to consider migration to x64 for all the subsystems.

Hope to receive help soon,

Vincenzo Calabrò
MDM Team CTO

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options

Hello @muawijhe

We are glad that you like our product and thanks for sharing the information about your project/use case.

Do you currently have the basic UP Board? If so, in order to have SPI enabled, you simply need to follow the instructions to install our kernel:
    https://wiki.up-community.org/Ubuntu_18.04

you should see the spidevice right after reboot.

If you have instead the newer and more powerful products like UP Squared and UP Xtreme, you would need to install ACPI override via script as describe in the hardware/pinout section of our wiki.

For the 5.4 kernel release and support of Ubuntu 20.04 (and also available for Ubuntu 18.04) we encountered some delays initially for issues to resolve while porting our UP specific patches and now further delays to rebase the kernel to the latest 5.4.0.52 which includes the fixes for the high severity Bluetooth issues discovered recently by Intel and Google which affects all Linux kernels.

The 5.4 kernel and support for Ubuntu 20.04, if no more issue are found, will be released in a couple of weeks.

• muawijhe
    muawijhe New Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello @DCleri
    any update on Ubuntu 20.04 Kernel support?

We are worried we could not complete the coming experiment and we will consequently abandon the idea of using this nice product :neutral: I really hope you can help us in solving this issue asap, as we are planning to use this class of products in future product lines as well .

I can provide you additional contact details to close the loop faster.

Let me know

• DCleri
    Options

We are in the process of releasing the kernel, our internal testing is almost complete.

@muawijhe I have also responded to you via private message

• robcalvi
    robcalvi New Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello @DCleri
    I've the same question: any update on Ubuntu 20.04 Kernel support?
    We use UP Squared Pentium Quad Core 08/128, and we would need Ubuntu 20.04 and we need also to buy LTE/4G/5G board (for Drones connectivity) and verify if is compatible with Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you in advanced Rob

• DCleri
    Options

Hello @robcalvi

We released the 5.4 kernel last year and it is compatible with all UP Series except our new products UP Xtreme i11 and UP Squared 6000, which are using a newer kernel (5.13).

For UP Board and UP Squared you can follow the tutorial from our wiki: https://github.com/up-board/up-community/wiki/Ubuntu_20.04

• UpBored
    UpBored New Member Posts: 16
    Options

@DCleri said:
    Hello @robcalvi

We released the 5.4 kernel last year and it is compatible with all UP Series except our new products UP Xtreme i11 and UP Squared 6000, which are using a newer kernel (5.13).

For UP Board and UP Squared you can follow the tutorial from our wiki: https://github.com/up-board/up-community/wiki/Ubuntu_20.04

This is no longer true as the repos are removed.

• hubseb
    hubseb New Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi all. @DCleri can you confirm, that the 5.4 custom UP Kernel is not necessary anymore, according to this wiki entry? https://github.com/up-board/up-community/wiki/Ubuntu-2004-LTS-GSG

Thx