Upsquared board with ubuntu 16.04 crashes

Manick02
Manick02 New Member Posts: 1

We followed the below links and setup -
https://wiki.up-community.org/Ubuntu
https://forum.up-community.org/discussion/3252/outdated-intel-update-tool

We setup Ubuntu 16.04 desktop.
When we try to get into Ubuntu and when system tries showing desktop we get crash everytime.
IF we try to get into Ubuntu in Recovery mode it does not crash

Can someone help in how to get to know the reason of the crash and find a way to fix it?

Comments

• vijayrao1988
    vijayrao1988 New Member Posts: 1

Were you able to find the reason for those crashes? I am having the same problem with the upsquareds we have.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

What Power Supply are you using to power the board?

What version of the BIOS is installed on your system?

• vdorbala
    vdorbala New Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020

Hi. I'm facing the exact same issue on Ubuntu 18.04.
    I have an up squared board connected to a Loomo device outputting 24V 1A, which I've stepped down to 5V. So the board should be getting around 4.8A (max).

I have the latest UEFI BIOS that I downloaded from here.

I faced a similar issue while using the UP board earlier too, and setting it to a lower resolution helped it stay stable. I tried to do that with this, but it crashes before I can set anything :|. Works fine on recovery mode.

Also, I'm SSH'ing into the board now, without a display and it still restarts randomly after a few minutes. So it clearly isn't a display issue this time.

I also installed the latest kernel following instructions described here.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

It seems to me the power supply is not providing current to the board correctly (not handling spikes or stable enough).

I would suggest to try one of our tested PSU (5V6A) to see if you experience the same issue as we are not seeing that on our testing.