How do you change I2C frequency from fast mode(400khz) to standard mode (100Khz) for I2C0 (i2c-0)?

AustinL
AustinL New Member Posts: 6

I am using Ubuntu 18 with the latest kernel installed and the latest BIOS

Kernel:
Linux easyrassor 4.15.0-37-generic #40~upboard04-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 14 13:49:37 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

BIOS:
UCR1BM18

I am using I2C0 pins 73&75. I have probed this with an oscilloscope and the frequency is clearly 333Khz. I believe that the I2C bus is in Fast mode. I need it to be in Standard mode.
My device works perfectly fine on a Raspberry pi @ 100Khz.
There is no option in BIOS to change the speed.

Please help!!

Tagged:

Answers

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Hi @AustinL

Similarly to how you do it on other UP Platforms, you can find the settings in the BIOS under Advanced, HAT Config.

There you can see 2 I2C ports where you can select the speed to standard if you want to run at 100Khz.

Please make sure you have the latest kernel installed from our PPA

• AustinL

Thank you for replying!

I have the latest kernel and BIOS, I have installed upboard-extras and enabled user support.
    Kernel: Linux easyrassor 4.15.0-37-generic #40~upboard04-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 14 13:49:37 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    BIOS: UCR1BM18

I do not have the the HAT Config under Advanced for my any of my Up Core Boards.
    I have several Up Boards, Up Cores and Up Squared's as well.
    On the UP BOARD I can see HAT Config and I can change the I2C Speed
    On the UP SQUARED I can see the HAT Config but there is NO option to change I2C Speed.
    On the UP CORE (Our primary concern) I cannot see the HAT Config option.

Is there any reason why I am not seeing the HAT Config on any of my UP CORE Boards?

• DCleri
  • AustinL

I have installed the latest BIOS on my Up Board's, Up Cores' and Up Squared's. The latest UP Core BIOS were listed in my last two responses: BIOS: UCR1BM18
    (UP Core is our primary concern)
    Up Board is the only BIOS that lists the option to change I2C Frequency.
    Up Squared has a HAT configuration option but no I2C frequency option.
    Up Core has no HAT configuration option and no I2C frequency option.
    Are you certain changing the I2C frequency is a feature of the Up Core and the Up Squared?

UP Core:

UP Board:

UP Squared:

• DCleri

Hi @AustinL

On UP Squared the configuration is slightly different, please refer to our wiki: https://wiki.up-community.org/Pinout_UP2#I2C_ports

Regarding UP Core, you care correct, it seems the option has been dropped in more recent BIOS version so there isn't an option to change I2C speed either in HAT nor LPSS menu.

I will follow up with our BIOS team to provide a solution.

• AustinL
    edited March 2020

UP Teams Response:
    At this moment, we don't have plan on the I2C frequency change in UP board.

So it is possible to change the frequency on the Up Board and Up Squared but not the Up Core.

• OAkyildiz
    OAkyildiz New Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2021

Hi @DCleri. What about Up Xtreme?

Tagged