Up^2 with fan, Pentium N4200 crashing/rebooting Win10 with heavy graphics use

Options

I have correctly installed Windows 10 Home on the Up Squared board I just received, and installed the drivers from the download section of this site. I'm using the power supply included in the dev kit for the board. I have replaced the passive heat sink with the active fan heatsink included in the dev kit.
With the fan, the CPU is running at under 60C, even under heavy load. Usually around 49C. I have the board sitting in the open, not enclosed.
The board idles fine, however when I run a graphics-heavy application (I am using my own software that rotates a 3D model on screen), randomly but after usually a few minutes, the system unexpectedly restarts.
I've triple checked the heatsink, thermal goop, everything is installed correctly, but it spontaneously reboots only when I'm pushing the GPU.
My intention was to use this board for a product that creates and displays 3D models, so this is a dealbreaker for me if I can't solve this issue.
Aaeon, anyone, can someone help?

Answers

• stykujason
    stykujason New Member Posts: 6
    Options

Bumping this post to hopefully get some guidance, is this a defective board? Are the Up2 boards not capable of handling heavy graphics load? Thanks in advance.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options

It is not definitely an overheating issue.

Have you tried with other 3D software if that crashes the board too?

The board has a certain amount of dedicated memory and if the software you are using is exceeding that and not handling it correctly, it may cause problems.

• stykujason
    Options

Thank you for the reply! I'll try another 3D software today and revert back. The RAM load per Windows is around 4GB (8GB is installed on the board). What is the limit in dedicated memory?

• DCleri
    Options

Hi @stykujason

By default the BIOS settings are DVMT Pre-allocated of 64MB with DVMT Total GFX of 256MB.

Under the tab Chipset->North Bridge, you should change those values to 512 and MAX respectively as you can see from the below picture:

Then try again to run your tests.

• stykujason
    Options

Thank you, I'm trying it now, I will revert back with the result.

• stykujason
    Options

Hi @DCleri ,
    I changed the memory settings in BIOS, and re-ran my tests. The system is up for a bit longer than before, but not much longer - maybe an hour before it restarts.
    Here is a screenshot of memory allocation in Windows; I don't see anything to indicate my software is leaking.
    I have also run some passes using Video Memory Stress Test Tool, and Unigine Heaven those tests passed.

• DCleri
    Options

If the standard/stress test for GPU and GPU memory are passing, It doesn't seems to me an hardware or driver issue.

Maybe there is a memory leak in the software you are using? It is difficult to say.