Kernel Patches

Donald
Donald New Member Posts: 11
edited September 2019 in UP Board Linux

So I can customize the the latest kernel released with ubilinux, but what I really need is a patchset for 4.14. I tried doing a format-patch from 4.9.45, but they don't cleanly apply to 4.14.
Is there any plans to release a 4.14 kernel or patchset

Comments

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod

Hi Donald,

We haven't officially released patches beyond 4.10 yet, but we're aiming to update them as part of getting UP board support upstreamed.

Looking through GitHub, I can also see some rebased versions of the patchset floating around (e.g. https://github.com/plbossart/sound/commits/backport/v4.14-intel-audio-upboard-4.10). I haven't personally tested these patches—they may or may not work as expected.

• Donald
    Donald New Member Posts: 11

Would any of the changes made to the kernel in order to support up*, have negative affects on other hardware platforms. Can I safely support up* in a general distro kernel?

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    edited January 2018

The better part of our code changes would only apply when running on an UP platform. So far I haven't encounterd any issues whenever I've tested our ubilinux/Ubuntu kernels on non-UP platforms.

As mentioned before though we're still working towards upstreaming, and that means that if you do find any regression on a non-UP platform we will treat that as a bug to be fixed.

• chrissyheb
    chrissyheb New Member Posts: 4

Can you give an estimation when the patches for the upboards (especially up2 for me) will be integrated into the mainline kernel?

• chrissyheb

Hi Javier/up-Team
    I'm still wondering about the plans for getting the patches for the 40Pin IO into mainline kernel. I need to set up a customized real time kernel for my up2 with support for the 40Pin IO and am waiting for the patches to appear inside the mainline kernel sources or to get a official and maintained patch set for a current kernel.
    I read at another thread of a kernel 4.14 at the end of september, but that doesn't seen to me like you are working on integrating the sources into mainline kernel. I chose my up2 because I thought of a well supported x64 platform with up to date kernel and good support. But these expectations don't seem to get fulfilled at near future and therefore I'm a little bit disappointed.
    So please can you give me a estimation for getting a patch set for up to date kernels or an integration into the mainline kernel?
    Thanks.

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @chrissyheb ,

About the patches for 40pin IO, that's in progress and a considerable set of patches has been submitted to kernel maintainers.
    They're working closely with them to get most of them approved and available in the upcoming kernels.

About the new kernel, it's the kernel 4.15 and that is planned to be released in September (probably towards the end of September), hopefully.

Cheers!

• chrissyheb

Hi @ccalde ,
    Thanks for that fast and promising information.
    I'm looking forward to getting the 40pin IO work with the mainline kernel.
    Chrissy

• Tone
    Tone New Member Posts: 13

@chrissyheb said:
    I'm looking forward to getting the 40pin IO work with the mainline kernel.

Hi @chrissyheb ,
    I'd be interested in that too. Please keep us up to date.

• chrissyheb

Hi @ccalde ,
    unfortunately I am still waiting for the drivers to get merged into mainline kernel. I check the logs on kernel.org on every new kernel version but nothing happened since more than a year.
    What is the current state? When will the progress be finished?
    As there are official kernel versions from your company a patch seems to exist...

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Our patches have proven to be a bit difficult to get merged into the mainline kernel because the hardware design is unconventional and so the patches reflect that and don't fit easily into the existing kernel driver design as a result.
    We are planning to review that issue during the next months.

• JoelStienlet
    JoelStienlet New Member Posts: 1

Hello,
    Have you been able to make progress on merging the patches upstream?
    Another question: would it be possible to compile the patches as a kernel module that could simply be inserted with insmod? The problem is that recompiling the kernel doesn't work well with the update mechanism of other distros, who come with their own kernels. For example with dnf (fedora) it is possible to add hooks to call a script after a task is finished, so building a simple module after each kernel update would be more practical.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Unfortunately there are changes required in the intel pinctrl driver too, so it won't be possible to have them compiled as module.

The same reason is also why the upstream has not been completed yet and actually blocked. The kernel maintainers are not willing to accept the current design/changes (both in the intel pinctrl and up pinctrl driver).

• UpBored
    UpBored New Member Posts: 16

So these can't be updated in 2021 because nobody wants to do this in userspace?