Flash BIOS with CH341A and SOIC8 test clip?

P
P New Member Posts: 11

Hi all,

I have the problem that the board powers up only to show a blue light. In this thread other people also try to deal with the issue:

https://forum.up-community.org/discussion/2223/no-boot-just-blue-led#latest

Can I use a CH341A based flasher and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip to re-flash the BIOS chip with flashtool to try to fix it? The BIOS chip has a label attached which reads "62UP C1B0" which was probably the BIOS version the board came with originally.

If yes, can I just use the "UPC1DM17.bin" file directly? It is exactly 8MiB in size, so that sounds valid.

Regards,
P

Comments

• rogertsai(AAEON)
    rogertsai(AAEON) New Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

@P
    If you want to reflash Motherboard BIOS by the flash programmer , you'll want to make sure your programmer supports that the BIOS chip - W25Q64JV. Please click the link below to download the W25Q64JV datasheet
    W25Q64JV Datasheet - Winbond

Please note that the UPC1DM17 is only compatible with the 2GB and 4GB RAM version of UP Board.

• P

Thank you! I will need a 1.8V voltage adapter for it, then it should work. The board has 4GB of RAM.

• P

Thank you! I will need a 1.8V voltage adapter for it, then it should work. The board has 4GB of RAM.
    EDIT: I misread the specs in the flashrom table. In the data sheet it reads "The device operates on 2.7V to 3.6V power supply".
    Therefore, the 3.3V programmer seems to do the trick.

• P

For the record, reading the chip and flashing worked with the CH341a programmer. However, the issue remains the same. Continuing in the other thread.