Total achievable USB 3.0 bandwidth on Intel Up Core Plus

I would like to use two USB 3.0 devices simultaneously. Each device requires full 5Gbps bandwidth in order to function optimally.

Can the Intel Up Core Plus with its two on-board USB 3.0 ports be able to sustain a total of 10Gbps bandwidth? If not, what is the limit?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2018

@khengling said:
    I would like to use two USB 3.0 devices simultaneously. Each device requires full 5Gbps bandwidth in order to function optimally.

Can the Intel Up Core Plus with its two on-board USB 3.0 ports be able to sustain a total of 10Gbps bandwidth? If not, what is the limit?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

I have not seen a block diagram posted yet; however, I don't see why not. :) it uses the same Intel ApolloLake chipset in the UP Squared ApolloLake - which has 6x USB 3.0 super speed 5.0 Gbps ports directly on the chipset.

You can read my response to a similar question below with more details.

https://forum.up-community.org/discussion/comment/9062/#Comment_9062

Btw, the UP Core Plus shares it's details mostly with the UP Squared, instead of the UP Core. CPU, memory, chipset, etc. I will move.this post once we have an UP Core Plus section in the forums.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• khengling
    khengling New Member Posts: 2

Thanks Eric!

This is promising (:

Has anyone tried to simultaneously use two USB 3.0 devices that operate on full bandwidth on the UP Squared board? If yes, is the actual bandwidth achieved close the the theoretical spec?

• Michael McCool
    Michael McCool New Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2019

I've run two RealSense cameras at full speed from the UP Squared, and also high-performance USB 3.0 network adapters. But clearly the question is really whether the two on-board ports have separate connections to the SoC. Occam's Razor (engineering version) implies they should, since why would they add an extra component for hub when the SoC has multiple USB3 channels built in? Also, since the B port can be either host or device, it clearly needs to be configured separately, i.e. it must be a separate channel from the other connector.