3 independent USB3.0 hosts with 5Gbit/s each?

Options
kozuch
kozuch New Member Posts: 1
edited September 2018 in UP Squared Linux

For the Up Squared the specs say following:
website
3 USB 3.0 host ports (USB3.0 Type A socket)
1 USB 3.0 OTG port (USB3.0 Micro-B socket)**
wiki
3x USB3.0 (Type A) + 1x USB 3.0 OTG (Micro B)

My question is - do all 3 USB 3.0 Type A ports provide Super Speed (5Gbit/s) EACH or is there only a single usb 3 controller on the board and these 3 ports are essentially only a hub and all share the 5 gbit bandwidth?

Tagged:

Answers

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited September 2018
    Options

@kozuch said:
    For the Up Squared the specs say following:
    website
    3 USB 3.0 host ports (USB3.0 Type A socket)
    1 USB 3.0 OTG port (USB3.0 Micro-B socket)**
    wiki
    3x USB3.0 (Type A) + 1x USB 3.0 OTG (Micro B)

My question is - do all 3 USB 3.0 Type A ports provide Super Speed (5Gbit/s) EACH or is there only a single usb 3 controller on the board and these 3 ports are essentially only a hub and all share the 5 gbit bandwidth?

I do not know the exact specifics. However, keep in mind that the Apollo Lake chipset of the UP Squared has 6x USB 3.0 native ports. There isn't a "host" per say, but direct bandwidth to the chipset.

Source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/apollo-lake/overview.html

UP does provide a basic block diagram that seems to indicate they are using 4x of those 6x USB3 native ports:

I suspect that the other 2x native USB3 ports go unused.

I've only used 1x USB3 port at a time, and it's usually just to install the OS.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

Tagged