[SOLVED] Up2 with Ubuntu 16.04 installation but brings up Bios on bootup

Options
Amit
Amit New Member Posts: 4
edited October 2018 in UP Board Linux

Hi,

I successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04 (image obtained from the Up Wiki). At the end of the installation the message on the screen was - 'Remove installation medium and press enter'. I removed the USB drive and pressed Enter key. The board rebooted but I got "Enter Password". When I hit enter key (without any password) it brings up the BIOS config.
How can I get Ubuntu to load on boot-up that was installed successfully?

I looked at this thread which had a similar question but it didn't really answer the question.

Comments

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2018
    Options

@Amit said:
    Hi,

I successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04 (image obtained from the Up Wiki). At the end of the installation the message on the screen was - 'Remove installation medium and press enter'. I removed the USB drive and pressed Enter key. The board rebooted but I got "Enter Password". When I hit enter key (without any password) it brings up the BIOS config.
    How can I get Ubuntu to load on boot-up that was installed successfully?

I looked at this thread which had a similar question but it didn't really answer the question.

Hello!

Were you installing to the onboard eMMC storage, a drive in the mSATA slot or a drive connected to the SATA connector? I believe the bios is only configured to boot from the eMMC onboard storage by default. You will need to enter the bios and go to the Boot menu to change the order.

Also, try resetting your bios back to optimum defaults - and then go change the boot drive to the proper one within the bios "Boot" tab.

Let us know if you need more step-by-step instructions within the bios, and I'll grab them from my Bios 3.3 version of UP^2.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• Amit
    edited October 2018
    Options

Eric, thanks for the response. I am installing on the onboard eMMC storage. I don't have any other external storage connected to the board. I have attached an image of the board as well.

The boot menu in the bios has the option for USB, Hard Disk, Network and CD/DVD (I have attached an image for this as well). I also went into the Chipset setting for SATA but did not see an option for eMMC storage.

I do recall when I was installing Ubuntu 16.04 there was an option to use UEFI . I selected to not continue with UEFI so it continued the installation without that option. Would that make a difference? Should I reinstall with UEFI selected?

I will definitely appreciate a step-by-step instructions within the bios.

Thank you!

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2018
    Options

@Amit said:

I do recall when I was installing Ubuntu 16.04 there was an option to use UEFI . I selected to not continue with UEFI so it continued the installation without that option. Would that make a difference? Should I reinstall with UEFI selected?

Bingo! That was it.

All UP devices are UEFI only, not MBR/Legacy.

Install fresh again (and make sure to delete all partitions as switching from MBR to UEFI changes partition types and assignments) and select UEFI. Should work like a charm.

Good luck!

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• Amit
    Options

That was it. Reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04 and it works as expected.
    Thank you!