WDF Violation BSOD w/Windows 10 version 1803

Robert Alexander
Robert Alexander New Member Posts: 16
edited October 2018 in UP Board Windows

We have the UP-CHT01-A12-0432, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC and lately had a problem with Windows 10, version 1803.
Some systems that I had running with drivers installed did not recover after an automatic update. Some of those I've been able to recover by not completing the update and they are still functioning with updates paused on version 1703, builds 15063.1088, and 15063.1112.
Others I've installed a fresh download of 1803 and then tried installing the drivers. These do not complete the 1st step, Cherry Trail install or fail right after it.

Some of the BSD errors that I caught:
Stop code: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, What failed: isstrtc.sys
Stop code: WDF VIOLATION, What failed: WudfPf.sys

On the earlier systems that failed I installed the drivers from https://downloads.up-community.org/download/microsoft-windows-10-64-bit-drivers/ (Your links on https://wiki.up-community.org/Setup are not up to date) or possibly and earlier version of the same. On some I also installed the AAEON framework referenced here: https://forum.up-community.org/discussion/2918/where-can-i-get-a-up-board-sdk-to-write-my-software-to-control-gpio-pins

One system with all the drivers installed on a version 1703 survived updates to version 1803 build 17134.1 and was functioning but now has auto-updated to build 17134.81 and seems to have lost drivers and use of most of it's USB ports.

Edited by eduncan911: just changed the title to better match the root problem for others to find easiler.

Comments

• Paavo Leinonen
    Paavo Leinonen New Member Posts: 14

My up board is also a victim on 1803 problem.

Windows updated itself to 1803. WDF_VIOLATION in boot before login screen, and nothing helps.

Tried (complete) reset, and even made a total fresh install to empty disk, and every time the same problem.

Have only USB mouse and USB keyboard connected, plus ethernet cable and HDMI monitor.

I have latest UPC1DM11 bios with default settings.

-Paavo

• Josef Rogovsky
    Josef Rogovsky New Member Posts: 19

I've got the same "WDF Violation" issue in Windows 10 v1803, with my up board.

It would be nice if AAEON acknowledged the issue and shared their plan to correct the problem.

• Paavo Leinonen

It would be nice if AAEON acknowledged the issue and shared their plan to correct the problem.

+1

• Josef Rogovsky

@Aling, Please let us know what's going on.

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin

Sure! @rogertsai(AAEON) is supporting us on Windows. @rogertsai(AAEON) can you check?

• rogertsai(AAEON)
    rogertsai(AAEON) New Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Hi everyone,
    I just installed the Windows 10 version 1803 (OS build 17134.1) and UP Board Windows 10 64-bit drivers, but i can't see anything about WDF_VIOLATION error on my UP. Who can provide a screenshot of an example about this error for me?
    My UP board info is shown as below

However, I found some suggestions for WDF_VIOLATION error on the internet. Please check it out to WDF_Violation Blue Screen Error on Windows 10 [Solved], then try method 2 & 3 for troubleshooting

• Josef Rogovsky

Try rebooting. In my tests it sometimes worked after the install completed. But would BSOD on subsequent reboots.

• Josef Rogovsky

@rogertsai(AAEON), I have some questions about how you performed the install. Did you install Windows 10 v1803 as an upgrade or a new install?

I tried installing both ways and both ways failed for me. But I'm curious about how you performed the install.

The driver installer you linked does not run on recent versions of Windows 10. How did you run the installer?

@Robert Alexander and I both have a 4GB up board model. Is it possible that this issue is particular to our version of the up board?

• rogertsai(AAEON)

Hi Josef Rogovsky,
    Yes, I just take a new install Windows 10 v1803 to my UP. To driver installation process, please follow the steps listed below to install drivers
    1. Download and unzip file (up_win10_64.zip) on your UP. File size about 253MB
    2. You will see 3 folders, Step_1-Chipset_and_peripherals, Step_2-TXE and Step_3-LAN
    3. Go to "Step_1-Chipset_and_peripherals" folder, and drag the "WIN10_64" folder to the desktop if install failed under this folder
    4. To execute "Setup.exe" from WIN10_64 folder, and then wait for the driver finished setup.
    5. Go to Step_2-TXE, to execute "SetupTXE.exe" from WIN10_64 folder, and then wait for the driver finished setup.
    6. Go to Step_3-LAN, to execute "setup.exe" from WIN10 folder, and then wait for the driver finished setup.
    Please follow above instructions, and try again

• jbaptiste
    jbaptiste New Member Posts: 8

Hello @rogertsai(AAEON),
    I have the same problem as stated before here: UPBoard's BIOS is up to date and I did a fresh install of Win10 Home (Version 1803 OS build 17134.1) this morning. The Step 1 of the driver package always crashes (logs are enclosed).
    Additionnally Hi-Safe does not work at all:

Can you help please?

• rogertsai(AAEON)
    edited July 2018

Hi @jbaptiste,
    Did you copy or drag the "WIN10_64" folder inside the "Step_1-Chipset_and_peripherals" to your desktop, and then try to install that driver package under desktop directly?
    Regarding to Hi-Safe about DIO, haven't you checked the BIOS settings about HAT Configuration, to disabled Protocols in BIOS?
    (BIOS --> Advanced --> HAT Configuration)
    You could refer to the following steps for Hi-Safe check
    1. AAEON framework driver check

2. HAT Configuration check, change the setting of protocols from enabled to disabled

3. DIO function check. If I2C & UART have been disabled in BIOS, the DIO 3 & 5 & 8 will release for DIO use, like the picture below

• jbaptiste
    jbaptiste New Member Posts: 8

Hello @rogertsai(AAEON) ,

Thanks for your answer.

Disabling HAT protocols solved the second issue, so I am now able to access GPIO from HiSafe.

Regarding the other topics, I have already done the tests by putting WIN10_64 folder directly on the Desktop and it does not work. I see 2 errors in the log file:

00:17:03:276: Reading config file : C:\Users\upboard_win\Desktop\WIN10_64\Config.xml
    00:17:03:291: Read SocPackageInfo Version : 0x1
    00:17:03:291: Reading string value
    00:17:03:291: Read XML SocPackageInfo Root : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Key : SOFTWARE\Intel\SOCPackageInfo, Value : VersionNumber, Version string name : Version, version string : 102
    00:17:03:291: Registry key SOFTWARE\Intel\SOCPackageInfo does not exist or can not be read. **Error **: Unable to read registry value : VersionNumber - Error Code : 2. Assuming the installed version is oldest. Proceeding with installation.

00:19:12:376: E Unable to pre-install driver file : C:\Users\upboard_win\Desktop\WIN10_64\Drivers\Graphics\igdlh64.inf - **error **code : 112

00:19:12:376: E Uninstalling drivers that were previously pre-installed by DriverPackagePreInstall...
    00:19:12:376: Uninstalling driver C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iauarte.inf_amd64_0d03a1fa6dae6249\iauarte.inf

A capture of device manager after running the setup of Step 1:

• rogertsai(AAEON)

Hi @jbaptiste,
    To 3 unknown devices, these devices are open for Linux OS use, not for Windows OS.
    So, it's normal as shown in your device manager, see pictures below

You could refer to the following link for same question
    installation of WIN10_64 - Step_1 drivers fails

• Paavo Leinonen
    edited July 2018

@rogertsai(AAEON) said:
    Hi Josef Rogovsky,
    Yes, I just take a new install Windows 10 v1803 to my UP. To driver installation process, please follow the steps listed below to install drivers
    2. You will see 3 folders, Step_1-Chipset_and_peripherals, Step_2-TXE and Step_3-LAN
    3. Go to "Step_1-Chipset_and_peripherals" folder, and drag the "WIN10_64" folder to the desktop if install failed under this folder
    4. To execute "Setup.exe" from WIN10_64 folder, and then wait for the driver finished setup.
    5. Go to Step_2-TXE, to execute "SetupTXE.exe" from WIN10_64 folder, and then wait for the driver finished setup.
    6. Go to Step_3-LAN, to execute "setup.exe" from WIN10 folder, and then wait for the driver finished setup.

When one is supposed to do this? I have 4GB UP-board (bios/uefi all default values), and when I do fresh installation of 1803, I get WDF_VIOLATION in the boot, before I have a chance to log in. Tried fresh install twice, first without wiping the disk, and then after using PXE booted Linux and wrote disk full of zeroes. Same thing happened when 1709 was upgraded to 1803.

-Paavo

• Josef Rogovsky

@Paavo Leinonen said:

@rogertsai(AAEON) said:
    Hi Josef Rogovsky,

When one is supposed to do this? I have 4GB UP-board (bios/uefi all default values), and when I do fresh installation of 1803, I get WDF_VIOLATION in the boot, before I have a chance to log in. Tried fresh install twice, first without wiping the disk, and then after using PXE booted Linux and wrote disk full of zeroes. Same thing happened when 1709 was upgraded to 1803.

-Paavo

I've been having the exact same problem.

I've found that I've been able to complete the install of Windows 10 v1803 if I use a USB 2.0 port for the install media (using a USB 3.0 port results in a WDF Violation BSOD mid way through the install).

But even once I've completed the install via a USB 2.0 port, after I've rebooted a few times (installing drivers, etc.) I'll eventually get the WDF Violation BSOD and won't be able to boot into Windows again.

I can get into Safe Mode, but that's it.

Windows 10 v1709 installs and runs fine. It's only after updating to v1803 that the WDF Violation BSOD issue appears.

@rogertsai(AAEON), Please do a test with a 4GB Up Board.

• Paavo Leinonen

@Josef Rogovsky said:
    Windows 10 v1709 installs and runs fine. It's only after updating to v1803 that the WDF Violation BSOD issue appears.

This is exactly what I have, too.

@rogertsai(AAEON), Please do a test with a 4GB Up Board.

+1

I have 64GB eMMC in my UP-board, if it maters. My unit is probably one of the early ones.
    I updated bios/uefi to UPC1DM11 (all default settings) before update from 1709 to 1803.

• Josef Rogovsky

I also have a 64GB eMMC and I'm running the latest BIOS with default settings.

• Paavo Leinonen

@Josef Rogovsky said:

And 4GB RAM?

• mcbain
    mcbain New Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018

I have the same WDF violation issue on my up board (32GB eMCC, 4GB RAM).

• I updated to the most recent BIOS (UPC1DM11)
    • Loaded BIOS defaults
    • Installed a fresh Windows 10 64bit Pro, Version 1803 (I have deleted all partitions during installation and entered a valid Windows key during installation, language is English/US).
    • Upon the first login/startup attempt I get a bluescreen

@rogertsai(AAEON) anything else I could try? I do not need any of the GPIOs, would it help to deactivate it in the BIOS?

After a couple of reboots, I could manage to finish the Windows installation and the "3Step-driver-installation", but the bluescreens are still there.

• Josef Rogovsky

@Paavo Leinonen said:

@Josef Rogovsky said:

And 4GB RAM?

Yep. Sorry for not being clear. I've got an Up Board with 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC.

• rogertsai(AAEON)

Hello everyone,
    I saw that the problem about WDF violation with 4GB RAM UP board, and we are checking on it.
    For now, I highly suggest anyone with 4G UP board do not upgrade to Win10 v1803 before any solutions

• Saepheak
    Saepheak New Member Posts: 1

Hello everyone,
    I also own a 4GB RAM UP board and experienced the WDF violation blue screen. Hope that a solution can be found.
    Loging in into safe mode works still.

• BramKocken
    BramKocken New Member Posts: 2

@rogertsai(AAEON) said:
    Hello everyone,
    I saw that the problem about WDF violation with 4GB RAM UP board, and we are checking on it.
    For now, I highly suggest anyone with 4G UP board do not upgrade to Win10 v1803 before any solutions

Thank you!

Is there an update, at this point?

• rogertsai(AAEON)

@BramKocken
    The issue is not yet resolved. We are working on it and to try to debug it.

• rogertsai(AAEON)

Hello everyone,
    With respect to this WDF violation question, we have communicated to the Microsoft. And confirmed that the blue screen error is due to a bug in Win10 v1803. Microsoft is currently expected to fix this issue in the next version of Windows 10, please pay attention to Microsoft for follow-up update.

• Josef Rogovsky

As I understand it, the next major Windows 10 update will be in October. Is there no way to push them for a hotfix before then? This is not a trivial problem. Our Up-Boards are completely non operational.

And how exactly are we supposed to pay attention to follow-ups from Microsoft? Has the issue been documented by them somewhere? If so, please provide a link.

Perhaps you can explain specifically which device is causing the BSOD?

Since the problem goes away in Safe Mode, maybe we can disable the device until the update is released.

• IcarianOM
    IcarianOM New Member Posts: 2

Windows 10 x64 Vuild 17134.rs4_release.180410-1804

Same problem.

I can get into safe mode only. BSOD of WDF violation still generating, last time during an update of the system crashed and restarted the UP-Board automatically.

• rogertsai(AAEON)

@Josef Rogovsky
    As far as I know, the BSOD is due to "ufxsynopsys.sys" (Microsoft Windows OS driver file) got a Null parameter. And Microsoft is expected to update it on RS5. For now, I recommend to downgrade to Win 10 v1709 or below for your UP

• Jan-Willem Wahlbrinck
    Jan-Willem Wahlbrinck New Member Posts: 3

It may not be useful, but I also have to add that my 64GB/4GB UP board (Kickstarter backer) fails to boot, sometimes giving a driver sys file along with the WDF_VIOLATION BSOD. Have seen NTFS.sys and something like wdfdf.sys
    I am really disappointed in the lack of Microsoft not providing a fix in an acceptable timeframe.

• Paavo Leinonen