This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

Current suggestions for Wifi Adapaters for UP boards

KurtKurt Posts: 140New Member ✭✭

Recently I ordered an Intel R200 Robotics development kit from Mouser, which came with a new UP board. I should have checked if it also came with a wifi adapter (it did not...).

I am soon going to mount this in a Turtlebot3 Waffle PI (to replace the PI and camera).

Wondering which Wifi Adapter to use. I am probably asking this after all of the horses left with the open barn door as I ordered a couple of adapters from Amazon, which should ship tonight, but...

I decided to not order the same one as the UP ships and I have on my other UP board as would prefer to not purchase another one that you have to replace the drivers to make work OK...

Likewise I have some older edimax dongles which I have used in Odroids and earlier RPI boards.

What I have ordered include:
Panda Mini Wifi 150Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter

SparkLAN WUBR-508N(PU) / 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO / USB Module with Printed Antenna + USB Type A (Ralink RT5572)

I believe I saw reference to both of these either by name like Panda or by chip type RT5572.

Any better suggestion? If not I will probably start by trying the Sparklan adapter as it is higher speed...

Thanks
Kurt

Edit: Forgot to mention I am running Ubuntu 16.04 on this board

Comments

• KurtKurt Posts: 140New Member ✭✭

So far the SparkLan... Is working. Will see how it works when used with ROS...

• Douwe van NijnattenDouwe van Nijnatten Posts: 5New Member

Hi Kurt,

I am running into wifi adapter issues as well. Do you perhaps have an update on which adapters run smoothly on the UP and which didn't?

Thanks,
    Douwe

• KurtKurt Posts: 140New Member ✭✭

Hopefully someone will jump in and make some suggestions. I first tried the SparkLan one, but I ran into some issues, don't remember exactly what, so I have stuck using the Panda. So far I have not run into any issues with it, but I have not been doing much with it lately.