Instructions for Up 7" display kit

Robert Shelton
Robert Shelton New Member Posts: 110
My 7" display kit didn't include assembly instructions. Could someone please post those in the designated documentation folder, or respond with a URL where I could download a copy? The included screw post hardware appears to be of the wrong size, so I'm probably mis-understanding the intended assembly.

Thanks!
Robert

Comments

• Robert Shelton
    Hi Aling,
    I must be missing something. When I visit that page, it indicates no documents attached. I've looked on the manufacturer's site, but am not finding docs for the Up product. It looks to me as though the assembly instructions document hasn't been uploaded yet.
    Robert
  • Robert Shelton
    Direct link works - thanks!!
    Robert
  • Robert Alexander
    Robert Alexander New Member Posts: 16
    Suggested updates to the instructions regarding the USB bridge Cable 10 pin connection:
    Specific document title & version:
    7”W 1024 x 600 TFT + Pap Touch KIT FOR UP Board
    KIT-07X0ETTX30003U1 Assembly guide
    Rev 01 3 May 2016

I recommend making the USB bridge Cable the first step as it is easier to hold the board in one hand and the cable in the other. An updated photo would be helpful to identify the proper orientation. You may want to note that there are no wires to pins 1 and 2? (I presume by the board markings.) These are the pins closest to the DSI connector. On the opposite end of the connector in my case, the black wire ended up closest to the screw hole and edge of the board on both the FutureLabs Display board and on the UP board in a later step.

Please correct me if I am wrong (hopefully before I power it up ;)
  • Robert Alexander
    Well apparently there is one more correction. The USB bridge Cable should have a 10 pin connector on both ends because the UP board has a 10 pin connector on it too. Part # on my 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC UP board is UP-CHT01-A12-0432. The USB bridge cable I have (CB_UP2USB8) however has a 10 socket connector on one end and an 8 socket connector on the other.
  • Riccardo Proserpio
    Riccardo Proserpio New Member Posts: 5
    Dear Alexanderofyork,

The USB bridge cable was developed with 2 different connector to avoid wrong connection on user side.
    On Up they use 10 pins connector due they include also some Serial Pins, on FutureLabs Mipi to LVDS, we put 8 pins due we just use the 2 USB.
    One USB is used to interface the touch screen, the other USB port is wired to the 4 pin connetor you find on the FutureLabs board, and you can use as internal USB port.

Thanks

RickyProse
  • Robert Alexander
    Okay, so that explains the difficulty in getting the 10 pin connector on the FutureLabs board as instructed "Plug in theUSB bridge Cable on the 10 pin side on the DSI board." I guess I should have looked closer at both connectors and not so literally at the instructions.

So the instructions should say to connect the 8 pin side of the cable to the DSI board with the black wire on pin 1 toward the center of the board.
    Then in a later step to connect the 10 pin connector of the USB cable into the UP board with the black wire on pin 1 toward the center of the board and the 2 empty pins at 9 & 10.
  • Robert Shelton
    edited September 2017
    ** I have moved this post to its own thread in hopes of getting help. Please reply on the new topic, not here. **

Received the metal frame for the 7" display and finally got back to this project. I have followed the directions that Aling referenced above. Believe that I have made all connections as prescribed - for example flex cable contacts facing up from the display driver board. I've enabled the BIOS option for panel support - my BIOS does not have an option MIPI Port, but panel support contains the same settings as described in the directions. Machine is working with Win10 on an external HDMI. Touch screen seems to "work" inasmuch as touching the panel causes reactions on the HDMI display. I installed the Win10 drivers package from Downloads. I only see narrow multi-color bars on about 1/4 of the panel, though.

Were BIOS upgrades or other changes required to make the panel work? Does anyone have the 7" working with Win 10 - any advice?
  • Joost Boere
    Joost Boere New Member Posts: 9
    nexusnet wrote:
    Received the metal frame for the 7" display and finally got back to this project. I have followed the directions that Aling referenced above. Believe that I have made all connections as prescribed - for example flex cable contacts facing up from the display driver board.
    I got my 7" kit from the Kickstarter. Since it seemed rather fragile, installation has been postponed until I found a proper casing. Just got the metal chassis. Since the holes don't seem to line up, I'm looking for a manual and/or conformation I've got a version mismatch.

Above links for the manual for the display kit don't seem to work anymore: first leads to manuals for the devices, not the peripherals, the latter gives a 404.

Does your set (display kit and chassis) match? Have you found a manual for the chassis?
  • Joost Boere
    Joost Boere New Member Posts: 9

Thanks, that helped.