[Solved] how to use laptop display for UP board?

Chetan
Chetan New Member Posts: 6
edited October 2018 in UP Board Linux

I have ubuntu 16.04 installed on my laptop and I want to use laptop DISPLAY as a monitor for the installation purpose of UP board?
looking forward for the suggestions..
Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Comments

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin

@Chetan said:
    I have ubuntu 16.04 installed on my laptop and I want to use laptop DISPLAY as a monitor for the installation purpose of UP board?
    looking forward for the suggestions..
    Thanks in advance

That's a standard "how to get video input on my laptop" question, not an UP issue.

There are many devices you can purchase to take video input depending on your laptops specs.

Another suggestion is to create a Kickstart install script. But for that, you'll need to know exactly the storage emulation and usually need a monitor to verify the install steps.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• Chetan
    Chetan New Member Posts: 6

thanks for the reply @eduncan911
    I have UP board (UP-GWS01-A10-1432) its 4 GB DDR3 32 GB eMMC, HDMI cable, and a laptop with internet connection. I don't have a monitor or TV to connect UP Board. so can you help me, how to configure and install operating system on my UP board by using my laptop?

I don't want to spend more money by purchasing the devices to take video input as you said. The second suggestion is good but for that I need a monitor and problem is that I don't have a monitor. so I want to use my laptop for the same.

I hope you are getting what I want to say..

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @Chetan,

You could clone your Ubuntu 16..04 in a flash USB driver using Clonezilla for example.
    Then, connect the clonezilla USB to the UP board and power the board on.
    The Clonezilla will start automatically installing the Ubuntu in your board without human interferences :)

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2018

Hello @Chetan! While @ccalde's suggestion technically will image your board, it does have a lot of conditions that must be met for it to work. You laptop may have a Legacy BIOS or some other EFI configuration that doesn't match the UP device, also there is /etc/fstab that is the most critical to a successful boot as well.

However, If all of that just happened to work, you'll want to pre-configure your Ubuntu laptop to enable remote ssh logins at the least - and maybe even a VNC server, and open the firewall ports for it - before imaging it.

Here's another option: Emutex provides a supported operating system called Ubilinux based on Debian, which is what Ubuntu is based off of as well:

https://downloads.up-community.org/download/ubilinux-installer-4-0/

This particular operating system was designed for UP devices, automatically enabling the GPIO pins with a custom kernel that includes the driver patches.

It pretty much is an automatic, hands off installation:

• Create the USB ISO
    • Stick it into the UP device
    • Boot it up and just wait. It will automatically erase, partition, format, install and setup the board for EFI boot.

However, this only gets the operating system installed and running. It does not enabling remote SSH logins nor VNC remote desktop viewing (that I know of). You would still need a way to connect a KB and Mouse

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Yes, @eduncan911, that is also a good option :)

In any case, you will need to get ssh access to use your laptop display for UP board via Ethernet.