windows 10 iot core install boot loop

denistu
denistu New Member Posts: 2

i've downloaded https://downloads.up-community.org/download/up-squared-windows-iot-core-image-beta/
and followed instructions from pdf inside archive:
1) upgraded uefi from v2.1 to v3.3, successfully
2) prepared usb flash with windows iot core using dism, successfully
but when i insert usb flash and turn power on, up2 starts loading installer and the reboot
and so on in a loop
what i'm missing?

Comments

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2018

@denistu said:
    i've downloaded https://downloads.up-community.org/download/up-squared-windows-iot-core-image-beta/
    and followed instructions from pdf inside archive:
    1) upgraded uefi from v2.1 to v3.3, successfully
    2) prepared usb flash with windows iot core using dism, successfully
    but when i insert usb flash and turn power on, up2 starts loading installer and the reboot
    and so on in a loop
    what i'm missing?

My initial guess would be the USB flash itself. I had numerous issues getting the flash installed onto a USB that would boot. I actually have two bins: one for those that fail to boot when flashed (but carry files ok), and another set of drives that work great.

Also, try USB3 versions.

Also, what power supply are you using? I used a cheap one on one of my boards and it would randomly reboot under load, until I put on a good one.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• denistu
    denistu New Member Posts: 2

I'll try another USB flash, thanks for a hint.
    I'm using adjustable linear power supply that allows up to 5A

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2018

@denistu said:
    I'll try another USB flash, thanks for a hint.
    I'm using adjustable linear power supply that allows up to 5A

I always advise to purchase at least one of the UP power supplies for your UP boards as a known-good-source of power. So many people have had issues with non-UP PSUs. That way, you can swap out for the UP PSU to see if that's the issue as well.

Honestly, I think I went through 5 or 6 different USB sticks until I found one that would flash with Windows IoT Core - it seemed overly sensitive to quality USB sticks. I know, because I only had 6 or 7 at the time and thought, "well, if this last one doesn't work..." and ended up using my most expensive 64 GB stick - just for an ISO install (I try to limit my writes on my expensive sticks).

I now have two bins of about 12 or so of various small sizes and manufacturers for these kinds of installs.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!