UPBoard HDMI

raginigupta6
raginigupta6 New Member Posts: 3

Hi there,
I have been working with the UPBoard and trying to get the display out using HDMI, but the it seems to never detect the HDMI output fron the board. I tried several workarounds with it, power ON the board first and then connect the HDMI press the switch ON button for couple of seconds and wait fornit to boot, but no luck. The HDMI cable is also working since it works with other devices.
Any headsup on that would be helpful. Thanks

Comments

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2018

@raginigupta6 said:
    Hi there,
    I have been working with the UPBoard and trying to get the display out using HDMI, but the it seems to never detect the HDMI output fron the board. I tried several workarounds with it, power ON the board first and then connect the HDMI press the switch ON button for couple of seconds and wait fornit to boot, but no luck. The HDMI cable is also working since it works with other devices.

Hello and welcome!

First thing, just to be sure disconnect the power and battery and wait 60 seconds (press the power button to make sure it is completely discharged).

Then, reconnect the battery and power and see if it powers on. I had one board like that and it started working after I reset the BIOS.

Another idea: Is there any chance to try a different HDMI cable and/or monitor? I know it sounds weird, but I myself have two sets of HDMI cables: those that always work regardless, and those that just barely work on some devices and some monitor combinations.

I have 3x UP Boards and have connected them all to various 4x monitors and 1x TV. I've only had issues getting the right cable working with each device. Once I swap out the cables a few times, one of then eventually work.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• MatAff
    MatAff New Member Posts: 18 ✭✭

@raginigupta6 Are you using a proper HDMI monitor?

In the past I've tried to connect my Raspberry Pi and UP Board to a non HDMI monitor, using a HDMI to VGA or HDMI to DVI adapter and ran into lots of challenges. Nowadays I use an actual HDMI monitor to get the board booted up, I then install openssh-server and do all additional work through ssh.

• raginigupta6

@eduncan911 said:

@raginigupta6 said:
    Hi there,

Hello and welcome!

First thing, just to be sure disconnect the power and battery and wait 60 seconds (press the power button to make sure it is completely discharged).

Then, reconnect the battery and power and see if it powers on. I had one board like that and it started working after I reset the BIOS.

Another idea: Is there any chance to try a different HDMI cable and/or monitor? I know it sounds weird, but I myself have two sets of HDMI cables: those that always work regardless, and those that just barely work on some devices and some monitor combinations.

I have 3x UP Boards and have connected them all to various 4x monitors and 1x TV. I've only had issues getting the right cable working with each device. Once I swap out the cables a few times, one of then eventually work.

Thanks. I tried different HDMI cables on the monitor like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-HD-720P-LED-TV-X322BV-M/25059351, but in vain. The HDMI cables work separately for the display.
    Also tried disconnecting the power and battery, reconnecting it again to the UPBoard but no luck.

How should I go about with it? Do you recommend working with the monitor: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-HD-720P-LED-TV-X322BV-M/25059351?

• raginigupta6

@MatAff said:
    @raginigupta6 Are you using a proper HDMI monitor?

In the past I've tried to connect my Raspberry Pi and UP Board to a non HDMI monitor, using a HDMI to VGA or HDMI to DVI adapter and ran into lots of challenges. Nowadays I use an actual HDMI monitor to get the board booted up, I then install openssh-server and do all additional work through ssh.

Thanks for the heads up. I tried different HDMI cables on the monitor like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-HD-720P-LED-TV-X322BV-M/25059351, but in vain. The HDMI cables work separately for the display.

I am not sure but is the monitor in link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-HD-720P-LED-TV-X322BV-M/25059351 an HDMI monitor? How can I find that? The HDMI cable works otherwise for the same monitor but not when connected to the UPBOARD.

• MatAff
    MatAff New Member Posts: 18 ✭✭

@raginigupta6 I would think that monitor should work fine, since it has an input for the HDMI cable, but obviously it's not working. Some people use something this like this: http://a.co/d/3ZJzZhr to connect their monitor. Esepcially if the monitor is older, and that could cause problems.

As a next step, like @eduncan911 mentioned, I would still try to test it using a different monitor. I know it's a pain, none of us have a range of monitors lying around to test on, but hopefully someone near you will have a monitor you could plug your cable into for five minutes.