This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

Is it possible to use a battery as a power supply for the UP Core?

I am planning on building something that will resemble a bulky tablet using the UP Core as the computing module. The only two devices which will be drawing power from the Core is a 10.1" capacitive display and a data interface (ARINC 429 to USB), both of which will be powered via USB.

Tagged:

Comments

• nukular
    nukular New Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Of course, everything can be battery powered. As long as you have an adequate battery. If you are asking if there is a ready made solution that you just have to plug in: Probably no.
    But you basically just need "any" battery that can serve your power needs, a converter to 5V and then a cable that pugs into the DC jack of the UP.

• greshamconway3
    greshamconway3 New Member Posts: 3

@nukular said:
    Of course, everything can be battery powered. As long as you have an adequate battery. If you are asking if there is a ready made solution that you just have to plug in: Probably no.
    But you basically just need "any" battery that can serve your power needs, a converter to 5V and then a cable that pugs into the DC jack of the UP.

Would you have any suggestions as to what type of battery to use? I don't think I want to cascade a bunch of Duracells together and most portable batteries seem to be interfaced with USB which can't handle a 5v 3a draw from the Core.

• nukular
    nukular New Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I didn't even think about powerbanks. They should work to. The Anker Powercore 20100 for example has an output of 5V/4,8A, so that should be more than enough and would probably be the easiest solution. Then you just need a good (!!!) USB cable and put a connector on in that fits into the DC jack of the UP Core.

What I was thinking before is, you could get a LiPo battery pack used in RC cars etc, basically anything 2S (meaning 2 cells) or up and then just use a converter like this to get 5V.

But the solution with the powerbank is probably better and easier as long as the capacity is enough to power your solution for as long as you need (with the custom build you could go as big as you want)

• greshamconway3
    greshamconway3 New Member Posts: 3

@nukular said:
    I didn't even think about powerbanks. They should work to. The Anker Powercore 20100 for example has an output of 5V/4,8A, so that should be more than enough and would probably be the easiest solution. Then you just need a good (!!!) USB cable and put a connector on in that fits into the DC jack of the UP Core.

What I was thinking before is, you could get a LiPo battery pack used in RC cars etc, basically anything 2S (meaning 2 cells) or up and then just use a converter like this to get 5V.

But the solution with the powerbank is probably better and easier as long as the capacity is enough to power your solution for as long as you need (with the custom build you could go as big as you want)

Awesome, I swear I typed in 5V 3A battery banks multiple times and never found any that would seem to be able to handle that but the Anker's look like they would do the job. Thanks!

Tagged