This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

How to kill power supply of on-board Wi-Fi module

Shun
Shun New Member Posts: 7

Hello,

I would like to disable on-board Wi-Fi module completely.
Please teach me how to kill power supply of on-board Wi-Fi module.
I desire easy customization of hardware.
(For example, removing a chip resistor.)

Thank you.

Comments

• nukular
    nukular New Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Could you upload a good, high resolution photo of the area around the WiFi module? (look here if you don't know where it is) Preferably one where you can read what model the WiFi chip is.

Then I could probably tell you.

If you do that you will also loose Bluetooth.
    Why do you want to do that? Are you sure a software solution (just not loading the drivers for example) would not be enough?

• Shun

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
    I'm sorry, I can't upload photo. (Photography in my company is forbidden.)
    The on-board Wi-Fi module part number is AP6214A.

I recognize losing Bluetooth.
    I use UP CORE as development environment for RF equipment.
    Therefore, I would like to stop on-board Wi-Fi module operation certainly.
    Since there are other situations, customization of hardware is the first candidate.

Thank you.

• nukular
    nukular New Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Hey, sorry for the late reply...I had replied before, but then I editedthe post and that apperently removed it somehow...

Anyway: I think cutting just the power supply to the RF chip is going to be very difficult, especially if you do not have the right equipment.

I think your best option would probably be to just remove the entire chip if you are certain that you will not need it anymore.
    It's not that complicated, you pretty much just need a hot air gun and some tweezers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os0WczN5iIA

I'm sure you know this, but I'll just mention it anyway: If something goes wrong you could destroy your board and everything you do is at your own risk, of course.

• Shun

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
    And, I'm sorry for the late reply.

I know the method of removing the entire chip.
    I have a hot air gun.
    I consider your proposal.

Thank you.

• lateboomer
    lateboomer New Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018

Hi,

Could I further add on to the question? If I want to disable wifi and Bluetooth modules from BIOS, is it possible? And how to do it? Or is there other boards don't come with the wifi and Bluetooth modules?

Thank you.