Debian unstable with 4.16-rc2

Darth_Ender
Darth_Ender New Member Posts: 11

So i went and installed debian 9.3 and upgraded that to unstable just fine.
Then installed my own build of 4.16-rc2.

This is a headless server so i don't care about audio or graphic support.

I did port the gpio and spi code over to the kernel but I'm not sure if that's working since i don't have anything currently to test and i have like 4 different gpio sysfs entries showing up and those all seem to have more than 40 pins. So i need to do more investigating there.

I'm using the passive metal case, which is awesome. Cpu temp stays around 35c when idle, i haven't stress tested it but during the longish upgrade process, it never got above the 50's. Ambient temperature is about 25c. Cores were hitting the 2+ ghz speeds as advertised.

Network is fine using the vanilla rt driver with the right firmware. Basically same hardware as in a nuc i have that's been running fine for about a year so i'm n not worried about that too much.

Overall, i think it'll make a great little firewall. The case is great. I just wish i didn't need to use thermal pads to allow full contact vs high quality paste but the heat sinks are designed with that pad thickness and i didn't feel like grinding down the screw posts.

Comments

• Darth_Ender

Some info from the system. Still can't tell yet if i have access to the main gpio hat or if what i do have is a bunch of internal gpio busses. Guess i need to plug the monitor in and change the gpio pins in the bios ( i think this can be done) and see if it's reflected in linux.

i2cdetect -l
    i2c-3 i2c Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter I2C adapter
    i2c-1 i2c Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter I2C adapter
    i2c-11 i2c i915 gmbus misc I2C adapter
    i2c-8 i2c Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter I2C adapter
    i2c-6 i2c Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter I2C adapter
    i2c-4 i2c Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter I2C adapter
    i2c-2 i2c Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter I2C adapter
    i2c-12 i2c DPDDC-B I2C adapter
    i2c-0 smbus SMBus I801 adapter at f040 SMBus adapter
    i2c-9 i2c i915 gmbus dpb I2C adapter
    i2c-10 i2c i915 gmbus dpc I2C adapter
    i2c-7 i2c Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter I2C adapter
    i2c-5 i2c Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter I2C adapter

gpiodetect
    gpiochip0 [INT3452:00] (78 lines)
    gpiochip1 [INT3452:01] (77 lines)
    gpiochip2 [INT3452:02] (47 lines)
    gpiochip3 [INT3452:03] (43 lines)

dmidecode -t system

dmidecode 3.1

Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
    SMBIOS 3.0.0 present.

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
    System Information
    Manufacturer: AAEON
    Product Name: UP-APL01
    Version: V1.0
    Serial Number: Default string
    UUID: 03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009
    Wake-up Type: Power Switch
    SKU Number: Default string
    Family: Default string

Handle 0x0027, DMI type 12, 5 bytes
    System Configuration Options
    Option 1: Default string

Handle 0x002C, DMI type 32, 20 bytes
    System Boot Information

• Darth_Ender
    edited February 2018

One thing i noticed in the kernel source drivers for the platform/x86/up_board code is that the dmi board matches in the code are looking for UP-CHT01, but dmidecode shows my board is identified as UP-APL01. So is this file intended for just UP1 boards and UP2 is natively supported?

I guess i'm just not getting what constitutes up2 kernel support via a patch from aaeon. So much that's out on github and the like seem to be mostly up1 support code.

Just curious anyway. I dont need gpio support just yet, and everything else is working great. mmc speed is literally 5.5 times faster than my nuc N3700's mmc.

edit: yea, i think the up_board.c and up_board_pinctrl.c files are specifically targetted for up1 boards.

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod

Hi Darth_Ender,

In case you're still looking into this (if not, for future visitors), UP2 support is present in these files on the current driver:

• drivers/mfd/upboard-fpga.c - main platform detection, FPGA control, LEDs...
    • drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-upboard.c - pin control for the 40-pin header

As you correctly figured out up_board.c, up_board_pinctrl.c contain UP1 support.

• Darth_Ender

Thanks.
    the mfd and pinctrl drivers seem to build fine in 4.16 (taken from latest git of ubilinux kernel), as does the LED driver that i threw in just in case. Will be checking at some point if they work when i reboot. whenever that ends up being.

• Darth_Ender
    edited April 2018

So i finally got around to rebooting. Seems the pinctrl is detecting the gpio pins successfully. Not sure how to really test out the led driver, but it's loaded and all. So forward porting the driver to 4.16 release is pretty straightforward.
    gpiodetect:
    gpiochip4 [Raspberry Pi compatible UP GPIO] (28 lines)

Patch below since they dont allow me to attach this as a file for some reason. (hosted on my test-bed nuc that's protected by the up2)

https://darthender.net/files/4.16_up.patch

also, built the kernel using gcc 8. Not sure how gcc 7 will fair but it should be good.