UBILINUX 3.0RC3 Select and install software fails

Pieter
Pieter New Member Posts: 5
Downloaded Unilinux 3.0RC3 from here https://up-community.org/downloads/ubilinux/ubilinux-3-0rc3
Created bootable usb-disk with Rufus 2.9
Started the installer on the up-board and passed through 12 installation steps.
At the 13th step "Select and install software" I get an error. It doesn't give any more info about why it is failing.
The last thing it was doing was "retrieving file 336 of 837" (11%). It got stuck there for 2 minutes or so. Then an error shows up.

Comments

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    Hi Pieeeeeee,

Thanks for the report! We're aware of some installer robustness issues and intend to fix these for the final release.

In the meantime: was this a networked or an offline install? Also, after an installer error, you should be brought back to the list of installer steps: does the installation complete if you just select "Select and install software" again?
  • Pieter
    Hi,
    Thank you for the reply. The following devices where plugged in during the install:
    - WiFi dongle that came with the board. It worked because it showed me my network during installation.
    - Wireless keyboard
    - Wired mouse
    - Bootable usb-stick with Ubilinux, created with Rufus.

I noticed my rufus-settings weren't right, so I recreated the usb-stick with correct settings. I also unplugged the wifi-dongle and used a network cable instead. After 2 failed installations again it finally worked. So I'm not sure if my changes made the difference, or you just have to be lucky for it to complete this step.

PS: now having trouble finding wireless networks with the dongle in Linux, but that's another topic. Guess the driver needs to be installed or upgraded.
  • Javier Arteaga
    Hi,

That's useful information. It seems there are two issues here:
    [ul]
    [li]Networked install reliability: we're currently working on this.[/li]
    [li]Realtek WiFi dongle stability: for a workaround, see: https://up-community.org/wiki/Wireless#Patched_kernel_driver[/li]
    [/ul]

Thanks!
  • Götz Hoffart
    Götz Hoffart New Member Posts: 7
    jarteaga wrote:
    Hi,

That's useful information. It seems there are two issues here:
    [ul]
    [li]Networked install reliability: we're currently working on this.[/li]
    [li]Realtek WiFi dongle stability: for a workaround, see: https://up-community.org/wiki/Wireless#Patched_kernel_driver[/li]
    [/ul]

I may be wrong, but I don’t think it’s the network connection why it fails for @Pieeeeeee -- because it fails for me at the *very* exact same spot, package 336 out of 883. So I guess the download of that specific package is broken.

Ubilinux was freshly downloaded today.
  • Javier Arteaga
    Hi goetz,

That's a valid point! I'll try to reproduce the issue and look for that.
    (In the meantime, it'd be appreciated if anyone experiencing this issue could hit Alt+F4 when that error occurs. That should switch to a debug TTY showing which package download is causing issues. Beware that running the installer up to that point may overwrite your existing installation, however.)

Many thanks for the feedback so far.
  • Javier Arteaga
    Follow-up: these issues should be fixed on the ubilinux 3.0 release. We will be dropping support for the older release candidates.
  • Robert Shelton
    Robert Shelton New Member Posts: 110
    I appear to be experiencing part of this problem on the ubilinux 3.0 release that I downloaded today. My install fails on Detect Network Hardware. I have retried multiple times (continue... hit return on Detect network hardware item that is highlighted in the installer menu). Problem recurs. My Up is plugged in to a working Cisco switch. On the RJ45 socket, the right hand light flashes yellow. Left hand light is solid amber. Cable is known good - usually used with one of my laptops. Has this problem been experienced by others on the 3.0 release? Is there a fix?

Tx,
    Robert
  • Robert Shelton
    I am moving my post to a new thread bc it is specific to 3.0 rather than CR3
  • Pieter
    edited August 2016
    //edit
    I got the message wrong, you already used wired Ethernet. But I'll leave it here for others.

I couldn't install it on 3.0 either when the wifi dongle is plugged in. I recommend installing with wired network and the dongle unplugged. Afterwards you can fix the driver in Linux.
  • Robert Shelton
    edited August 2016
    I don't have a wifi dongle installed in my unit - only the usb thumb drive and a wired usb keyboard. Wired network is plugged in as mentioned.

Tx,
    Robert