This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

UP Core USB-C Edition?

After playing around with the UP-Core for several weeks,
1. I like that's it pretty stable.
2. I wish it had and only needed a usb-c connector, then we could drop the power and hdmi connectors.

I single cable solution would be awesome for making thinclient pucks that upgraded any usb-c monitor to a whole computer.

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin

Thanks for your suggestion. We will think about it in the next generation.

• Robert Shelton
    Robert Shelton New Member Posts: 110

Interesting to find this post @Donald. I have been investigating how I could power my Up Core from a USB-C battery pack. With the barrel connector, it's not any more useful than its larger siblings bc the power brick and associated wires makes the solution non-portable (i.e. try turning a Core into a tablet with a 4a brick and 120v-output battery pack attached!!!). USB-C would be a game changer. I'd leave the HDMI connection, though. More versatility.

• Robert Shelton
    Robert Shelton New Member Posts: 110

Any idea if a power cable could be made to work between usb-c and 2.5 barrel? Would the usb-c be able to correctly detect and feed power demand from the Core?

• Donald
    Donald New Member Posts: 11

@Robert Shelton said:
    Any idea if a power cable could be made to work between usb-c and 2.5 barrel? Would the usb-c be able to correctly detect and feed power demand from the Core?

usb-c is supposed to be able to deliver a lot more power than the up-core can use. My MBP power supply provides 80w, but the MBP itself runs just fine plugged into my LG's via usb-c only. Carries the video and provides 60w of power from each monitor. Monitors are also hubs, so there is very little cable mess.