Audio support

Lars
Lars New Member Posts: 3
Hi,

Quoting the UpWiki; https://up-community.org/wiki/Audio#UP.5E2_board

"The 40-pin GPIO header and the exHAT has pins connected to I2S for audio. Support is planned, but currently unavailable on official releases."

Do you have an ETD for this support?

Thanks.
Lars

Comments

• Peter
    Peter New Member Posts: 4
    I'd be interested in any I2S info as well. Has anyone managed to get it going? I just ordered an I2S audio adapter from Adafruit in the hopes that I can get Ubuntu I2S working, perhaps by recompiling the kernel with appropriate drivers (if I can find them).
  • Ignasi
    Ignasi New Member Posts: 2
    In https://up-community.org/blog I can read:

Linux Kernel changes:
    • pinctrl driver to enable 40-pin header on UP Board and UP Squared
    • RPi I / O compatibility driver for UP Board and UP Squared

This means that any DAC HAT designed for Raspberry Pi should work in Ubilinux?
  • Nicola Lunghi
    Nicola Lunghi Emutex Posts: 131 mod
    Hi
    sorry guys but still no support for I2S.
    We are working with Intel to enable it but there are a lot of things missing in kernel 4.9/4.10 for audio support on Cherry trail / Apollo Lake platform.

Probably those problem will be solved when we can move to 4.13/4.14 kernel.

Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • Peter
    Hi Nicola,

Appreciate the update!

Do you have any sense of when you might be moving to 4.13 or 4.14? 3months away? 6months away?

Thanks!

-Peter
  • Ignasi
    Ignasi New Member Posts: 2
    And in Windows 10 ... term?
  • Ansgar Mc Leod
    Ansgar Mc Leod New Member Posts: 2
    I hope this will get solved soon. It would be a gamechanger and open up a whole new market for you guys. We music geeks tend to spend loads of money on gear.
  • Nicola Lunghi
    Hi
    I'm a music geek too don't worry we are pushing for it
    (i received a couple of interesting email from Intel about it just yesterday)
    Thanks for your patience
    Nicola
  • Ansgar Mc Leod
    Ansgar Mc Leod New Member Posts: 2
    I really hope for it! Will soon start the development of my eurorackmodule based on the up squared. As long as the Audio thing is not solved i sadly am bound to "just" CV routing and modulation sources... It took me quite some research to settle with you guys and get my team to dig into the board.

we are prying for audio :)
  • Peter
    edited December 2017
    I'm going to try standard Ubuntu with a newer kernel that has i2s support.

Can anyone confirm my interpretation of the pins on the 40 pin header?

Pin __ Direction relative to UP Board_______Name____________________Description
    12___out_____________________________________AVS_I2S6_BCLK_________Bit Clock (SCK or BCLK)
    35___out_____________________________________AVS_I2S6_WS_SYNC____Word Select (WS or LRCLK)
    38___in?______________________________________AVS_I2S6_SDI___________Serial Data In????? (SD)
    40___out?____________________________________AVS_I2S6_SDO__________Serial Data Out????? (SD)

The last two are the real questions: I presume i and o represent in and out and are relative to the UP board as I have interpreted them?
  • Nicola Lunghi
    PeterJ wrote:
    Can anyone confirm my interpretation of the pins on the 40 pin header?

Pin __ Direction relative to UP Board_______Name____________________Description
    12___out_____________________________________AVS_I2S6_BCLK_________Bit Clock (SCK or BCLK)
    35___out_____________________________________AVS_I2S6_WS_SYNC____Word Select (WS or LRCLK)
    38___in?______________________________________AVS_I2S6_SDI___________Serial Data In????? (SDIN)
    40___out?____________________________________AVS_I2S6_SDO__________Serial Data Out????? (SDOUT)

The last two are the real questions: I presume i and o represent in and out and are relative to the UP board as I have interpreted them?
    Yes
    Have a look at this branch (untested probably not working)
    https://github.com/plbossart/sound/tree/backport/v4.14-intel-audio-upboard-4.10
  • Peter
    Thanks Nicola! If I have any success I will report it here!
  • Gavin
    Gavin New Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2018

I had high hopes from iNTEL for the Joule and i2s support but they discontinued the Joule (others also). Sadly support now is a huge ask.

The feature could only be enabled in EPROM level and not easily by the user.

I am a music/hifi geek also and welcome i2s support for the UP squared greatly. This would be first X86/64 SBC to have such functionality and this would go great with something like a Soekris DAM1021...

Anyone progress with the above github branch?