ubilinux 4 stops trying to install

david
david New Member Posts: 10
I have update the bios, and i try to install ubilinux 4 ( based on the link from up-community). it boots into the correct prompt, but when i select either install (interactive or not) the screen blacks out, and eventually comes up with 2 lines,

[ 13.193236] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[ 13.199318] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

then the installation hangs. no lights flash on the USB stick, so i do not think it is even trying to access the stick, and for at least 30 minutes (thats how long i have waited until writing this post) doesn't do anything else.

whats going on?

Comments

• Nicola Lunghi
    Nicola Lunghi Emutex Posts: 131 mod
    Hi
    please double check that you've created the usb disk correctly and that the image that you've downloaded is not corrupt
    Also what BIOS version are you using?
    can you boot using a live USB (for example Ubuntu?)
    Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • david
    I can live boot ubuntu, did that before trying ubilinux (on the same USB stick which is currently holding the UBULINUX installer). I am running the bios from your download page, 2.17.1249, i just installed it this morning with the go_64 command. should i try ubilinux 3?
    also, as an aside, my main goal here is to get the fastest boot possible into a basic window manager (like open box) to run chrome in kiosk mode. ubuntu desktop takes about 30 seconds to boot, and your kernel pages don't explicitly say that they work with the LTS of the server version of ubuntu, which is why i thought i would give ubilinux a try, in the hopes that it isn't as bloated as GNOME on ubuntu desktop. should i keep going with this ubilinux install or should i try the ubuntu server?
  • Nicola Lunghi
    Nicola Lunghi Emutex Posts: 131 mod
    edited October 2017
    Hi
    please provide me this information
    1) what board do you have? (up or up^2)
    2) what version of BIOS do you have? (is in the main BIOS configuration menu
    3) have you followed the guide from here https://up-community.org/wiki/Ubilinux to prepare the installation media?
    In particular to create the image I use etcher https://etcher.io
    4) after the BIOS update you can run Ubuntu from a live?
    5) the installer stop in a prompt or not?

Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • david
    Got it working.

I had originally created the USB disk with unetbootin, but after your last response i figured i would try it with dd instead, and that worked fine.

thank you!
  • eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2017
    EDIT: I see you posted an update with success just a few minutes before my post. :)

--

As others have mentioned, try re-recreating the Ubilinux USB stick again and verify. I myself have made about 5 or 6 Ubilinux USB sticks with about a 60% success rate. Even using Etcher under macOS, I still had one or two fail to install.

Re-imaging the USB stick made it install normally and without any problems. I had to re-image several USB sticks using various processes.
    drwilmot wrote:
    also, as an aside, my main goal here is to get the fastest boot possible into a basic window manager (like open box) to run chrome in kiosk mode.

If you objective is to get the fastest boot possible, quick question then: Do you need GPIO support?

If not, then I recommend a minimal image. Like Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS, as it won't have all of the bells or whistles of the Desktop edition. Or even better, Debian Stretch with a bare-bones to a Console, and then a KDE or Xfce install.

Yes, you could install the UP kernel for Ubuntu or Debian. But if you don't need GPIO, keep it lean and mean.

Ubilinux is a good bit heavier and has additional drivers that load for the GPIO. IME, it's taken longer to boot than Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS.
    drwilmot wrote:
    your kernel pages don't explicitly say that they work with the LTS of the server version of ubuntu, which is why i thought i would give ubilinux a try, in the hopes that it isn't as bloated as GNOME on ubuntu desktop. should i keep going with this ubilinux install or should i try the ubuntu server?
    Ubilinux uses LXQt, not Gnome. It's much lighter yes; but, minimal.

I've been testing several OSes and confirming with Aaeon as to what is supported/validating my results.

https://up-community.org/wiki/Operating_Systems

Though I need to update the page.

Ps, please make sure to setup auto-updates, for security patches at a minimal. We don't need any more IoT devices out there running out dated software. There's no excuse for taking an hour or two and setting up some automated update cron, even if just for security updates.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• david
    so now that i have it installed, i need it to auto login. ubilinux 4 has moved from lightdm to lxqt, so i am having trouble finding the confirmation files and commands i need to auto login and autostart programs. can you help me there?
  • eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    drwilmot wrote:
    so now that i have it installed, i need it to auto login. ubilinux 4 has moved from lightdm to lxqt, so i am having trouble finding the confirmation files and commands i need to auto login and autostart programs. can you help me there?
    I am not sure what DM Ubilinux uses for the login screen. I have some tests to do under Ubilinux. So I'll be formatting and installing it again shortly. When I do I'll try to poke around to help.

For now though, a few quick Google searches?

https://github.com/lxde/lxde.github.io/issues/30

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/517091-How-to-set-default-window-manager-to-LXQt-for-auto-login

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Ubilinux 4 uses SDDM as its login-manager. Create the file /etc/sddm.conf with the following contents:
    [Autologin]
    User=yourusernamehere
    Session=lxqt.desktop

• david
    That worked, now we have a new issue. i got it do do everything i need for the most part, auto login and auto run chrome in kiosk mode, all thats left to do is get rid of the cursor.

HOWEVER

the whole point of this was to use the up 7" display. all my testing to k=now had been done on an cdmi monitor, but when i go to use the 7inch display, things are not quite right. the instructions on the WIKI do not exactly match the options on the new BIOS, but i set the northbridge panel enable (no longer mini enable) to enable, and i set the resolution to 1024X600. when i go to boot up, things go awry. if i have the the hdmi unplugged, i can see the up logo on the little screen, the blue grub screen where it loads ubilinux, some setup lines, then the screen goes black except for a white "-" in the upper left corner. BUT if i have the 7" AND the HDMI connected, the screens dual each other until ubilinux loads, then i can see the main desktop on the HDMI screen, a blue screen on the 7", and the touch controls from the 7" move the cursor around on the HDMI screen.

please help, seems like i need to shut off HDMI on a blacklist or something