7" Display not working - only displays color stripes

Robert Shelton
Robert Shelton New Member Posts: 110
Received the metal frame for the 7" display and finally got back to this touchscreen/tablet project. I have followed the directions that Aling provided for installation / configuration. Believe that I have made all connections as prescribed - for example flex cable contacts facing up from the display driver board. I've enabled the BIOS option for panel support - my BIOS does not have an option MIPI Port, but panel support contains the same settings as described in the directions. Machine is working with Win10 on an external HDMI. Touch screen seems to "work" inasmuch as touching the panel causes reactions on the HDMI display. I installed the Win10 drivers package from Downloads. When the machine is running, regardless of what is displaying on the external HDMI, I only see narrow multi-color bars on about 1/4 of the panel, though. If I boot without external HDMI, the 7" displays the same behavior, but I can't interact with the machine bc seeing only stripes.

Were BIOS upgrades or other changes required to make the panel work (looking for anything I might have missed)? Any tips about the cabling might not be obvious from the instructions or YouTube? Does anyone have the 7" working with Win 10 - any advice?

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Hi ,

I am not sure which link I guided you. I just update the 7" display assembly SOP here.
    You can check if you put the cables in a correct side. The FPBC is very delicate, and sometimes very difficult to see if it is on the correct side.
    You don't need to enable MIPI-DSI from BIOS, but you need to change display resolution.
    You can check everything from the SOP. I hope it helps.
  • Robert Shelton
    edited October 2017
    Hi Aling,

I am still debugging the issue with stripes and no windows display on my 7" touch panel. The BIOS on my Up-board is UP-CHT-1 R0.S (UPC1BMOS) (06/04/2016). Do I need to update my BIOS for the touch display to work properly? I rechecked my BIOS settings - panel is enabled for 1024x600.

Also the screen and touch behavior is different now from my first report. I disassembled the unit and refitted the display ribbon cable as per the updated instructions that you posted a couple of weeks ago on this thread. The touch feature is working. I can drag a selection box that shows up on my external monitor, and I can cause items on the desktop to become selected. The panel itself, however, is black - no stripes or display. Alsomy Up-board currently is mounted directly to the MIPI converter board. Previously both boards were attached to the panel frame/chassis.

Tx,
    Robert
  • Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Hi Rob,

We recently found out in new BIOS, there is an option eDP listed together with resolution setting. You will need to choose "eDP " to get it work.
    We just updated our SOP. https://up-shop.org/up-peripherals/11-lcd-touchscreen-display-kit-7-.html

Please check if this will solve your problem.

Cheers.
  • Robert Shelton
    Hi Aling,

I found the eDP option and applied/saved that in my BIOS. I've also re-tested the flex cable in both positions (connectors up and down) just to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding cable position. The touch screen feature works reliably - I can drag a select box, but I have no Windows display on the screen. For a short while after Windows boots (with or without an external monitor), I see the color stripes on one side of the display. The screen goes black after a short while. Touch feature continues to work. Is there anything else that I should re-check?

Tx,
    Robert
  • cristian_1
    cristian_1 New Member Posts: 2

@Robert Shelton said:
    Hi Aling,

I found the eDP option and applied/saved that in my BIOS. I've also re-tested the flex cable in both positions (connectors up and down) just to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding cable position. The touch screen feature works reliably - I can drag a select box, but I have no Windows display on the screen. For a short while after Windows boots (with or without an external monitor), I see the color stripes on one side of the display. The screen goes black after a short while. Touch feature continues to work. Is there anything else that I should re-check?

Tx,
    Robert

Hello

Did you manage to find a solution to your problem?

Cristian

• Leonardo
    Leonardo New Member Posts: 1

i have the same problem! Does anyone solve it?

• Cash Chew
    Cash Chew New Member Posts: 3

I have the same problem...is this been solve?
    Touch screen is working but the panel does not shows up anything.
    Install in Window and ubuntu 16.04.05 also does not show anything.