Up-board freeze

Luca
Luca New Member Posts: 8
Hi,
I bought an up-board 2gb ram - 16gb eMMC

I updated the bios to the latest version in x64 mode. I have installed ubilinux 4 but after grub the card or it reboots automatically or a rude color screen appears on the color screen or the login screen appears, once logged in 1 minute of new colored screen.
I tried 3 power supplies (5v 3a, 5v 4a, 5v 20a Molex Pc) but nothing worked out. Thinking it was a ubilinux problem I used live distribution lubuntu but once inside a colorful screen again, I changed hdmi and 3 different lcd cables but nothing.
It's a card coming in for the first one that had the same problem.
I would like to see if it is a problem with kernels and video drivers or I'm so unlucky to catch 2 bad cards

thx

Comments

• Nicola Lunghi
    Nicola Lunghi Emutex Posts: 131 mod
    Dear Waterseven

please describe better what operation have you done and what you see.

> I updated the bios to the latest version in x64 mode.
    OK
    > I have installed ubilinux 4
    OK
    > but after grub the card or it reboots automatically or a rude color screen appears on the color screen or the login screen appears, once logged in 1 minute of new colored screen.

Please describe the issue more precisely are you seeing the login screen or not?
    does any error shows up? Please post a picture of the image that you see on the screen.

> I tried 3 power supplies (5v 3a, 5v 4a, 5v 20a Molex Pc) but nothing worked out.
    Please don't switch power supply randomly use the suggested one from the UP Shop. Here's the link
    https://up-shop.org/up-peripherals/65-dc-power-adapter-for-up-board-eu-plug.html

> Thinking it was a ubilinux problem I used live distribution lubuntu but once inside a colorful screen again, I changed hdmi and 3 different lcd cables but nothing.
    > It's a card coming in for the first one that had the same problem.
    > I would like to see if it is a problem with kernels and video drivers or I'm so unlucky to catch 2 bad cards

check your monitor/cables.
    If it happens with two board is very unlikely that both present the same problems.
    Connect with a serial console / usb OTG and see if you see some errors in dmesg

sudo dmesg -H

Best Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • Luca
    edited September 2017
    Step by step:
    1)Updated at the last bios
    2)Installed Ubilinux 4
    3)Restart Up-board
    4)At startup is a colored screen display
    5)I also tried lubuntu live, just enter the same colored screen system

Notes:
    The login screen I see rarely, logged a colored screen appears. Most of the time I get to login
    The system does not overheat
    Tried 3 different powers: 5V 3A 5V 4A 5V 20A
  • Nicola Lunghi
    > At startup is a colored screen display
    Sorry what does it mean?
  • Luca
    The screen turns all of one color randomly
    (Dal nome credo tu sia italiano. Praticamente all'avvio lo schermo diventa a tinta unita di un colore randomico ma è bloccante per intenderci devo staccare l'alimentazione per riavviare l'up-board)
  • Nicola Lunghi
    edited September 2017
    Hi Waterseven
    sorry but I cannot answer in italian (in case there's some other forum user that want to read/help)
    Please do the following:
    1) double check with your laptop/pc that the monitor/cable is working correctly
    2) Please post a photo of your current setup and of the screen problem
    3) If all works try to reset the BIOS: disconnect all cables from the up-board, remove the battery connector, wait for 5 minutes and then put it back the battery and the cables. See this fixed the issue
    4) If is still not fixed try to reinstall ubilinux from scratch. Connect the board to the ethernet and connect to the board via a ssh session. in that session run the sysinfo file that you find here the https://up-community.org/wiki/Software#Requesting_support_for_Linux_OS and post the result
    5) If nothing works and you're absolutely sure that the board is damaged please contact AAEON for a return here https://up-shop.org/content/5-cancellation-and-return-policy.

Best Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • Luca
    I did all the tests and I disabled some bios features to reduce the load on the gpu but nothing done.
    I bought a new power supply 5v 4a and now seems to work fine, now I will analyze the differences between the old is new but I think it's due to the stabilization of the power supply, I can say at this point that up-board is really picky about power supply.

I update you on the analysis to clarify the reason for all this
  • Nicola Lunghi
    edited September 2017
    Dear waterseven
    glad that you have solved your problem.

Some 5V power supplies are not very well regulated so its normal that the board was not working correctly.

Please use only REGULATED power supply of good quality because not doing so you could damage the board (better if you use the ones from the UP shop, that are tested to work well with the UP board family)

Best Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • Luca
    Among the various tests I also used the 5v output of a platinum corsair power supply, and the testers are 5v precise. For my scruple, I want to deepen the question, as the up-board will be used in a din rayls station as a home automation system with a meanwell transformer.