This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

next up board ?

Hello,

The x7-Z8750 intel soc is almost 50% "faster" than the x5. Is there any chance that AAEON produce such an up board based on this Soc?

Thanks,

Comments

• Sergey
    Sergey New Member Posts: 13
  • Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Hi ,

The package size is not the same. We can not simply replace it.
    Besides speed, we didn't see a significant difference from z8350. To be honest, we are brainstorming on what could be the next UP.
    cmsxM6M.png
  • Sergey
    Sorry for my English.
    Hello.
    I will write a little about myself and my vision of the next up-board.

Judging by the reviews, a lot of DIY enthusiasts, not enough SBC performance, and me as well.
    I'm a software engineer and by my nature of my activity, I have to be always online and be able to connect to the platform to solve the problem. It is not always convenient to carry a laptop with you. And when I found devices like GPD Pocket and Gemini PDA, I was happy at first, but found a few flaws. And I came up with the idea, to assemble this device myself. I've been looking for a long time among the existing sbc, the most productive, were the boards of your development, but I would like a little more performance. In this connection, I propose several improvements, which, in my opinion, many will like.

(board max size 141mm x 77mm)

Also, I offer several accessories that many will like:
    1) DP (eDP) to HDMI 2.0 bridge (based on PS175/PS176/EP963EQ or analogue)
    From CPU we have only HDMI 1.4, but sometimes, we need 2.0 version.

2) USB 3.1 to SATA bridge (based on VL716 or analogue)
    Many people want SATA in their projects, this is simple and powerfull solution.

I would very much like to see a similar implementation. Or maybe I can order a development from you?
  • WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    DrCox wrote:
    Judging by the reviews, a lot of DIY enthusiasts, not enough SBC performance, and me as well.

The UP2 is a much more performant device than the UP1.
    DrCox wrote:
    Many people want SATA in their projects, this is simple and powerfull solution.

The UP2 already provides native SATA, and you can add more via the mPCIE-slot.
  • Sergey
    edited September 2017
    It is bigger than you want, and consumes more electricity.
    And the cost is depressing.
    Price of processors is very different: $37 vs. $161
  • WereCatf
    r1 wrote:
    The x7-Z8750 intel soc is almost 50% "faster" than the x5.

Benchmarks seem to show it's at best 25% faster: http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_atom_x7_z8750-605-vs-intel_atom_x5_z8350-607
  • Sergey
    But:
    Z8350
    Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4) 1920x1080

Z8750
    Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4) 3840x2160
    Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel) 2560x1600
  • WereCatf
    You meant maximum resolution and not performance? Well, ok then.
  • Sergey
    Both. But Apollo Lake series processors are too expensive.
  • Sergey
    edited September 2017
    I started to think about using UP Squared instead of UP-Board.
    WereCatf wrote:
    You meant maximum resolution and not performance? Well, ok then.
    I see that you understand the processors. Please tell me how much, in your opinion, the data of the pair of processors differ:
    Z8350 vs N3350
    Z8750 vs N3350

If the N3350 is almost the same as the Z8750, then only one thing remains: UP Squared is not have version with the N3350 processor and 8Gb of RAM.
    Basing on prices, up Squared with the N3350 processor, 8GB of RAM and 32Gb of ROM should cost <=$200.

AlingWu, is it possible to order board with this configuration?
  • WereCatf
    It's not a straightforward comparison.

The Z8750 is about 15% slower in single-threaded performance, but due to the N3350 only having two cores, the Z8750 wins in multi-threaded stuff by something around 40%. Then again, the N3350 supports faster RAM (LPDDR4 up to 2400MHz versus LPDDR3 1600MHz in the Z8750), which may matter in specialized applications. The N3350 has a newer GPU and supports a wider range of video-codecs; if you were planning to use the device for e.g. transcoding-tasks with the hardware-encoder, the N3350 would be the better option.

The question mostly boils down to: is your workload going to be mostly single-threaded, or multi-threaded? If mostly single-threaded, the N3350 is the better option. If multi-threaded, the X7-Z8750 would likely be the better one. As for the X5-Z8350: it wins against the N3350 in multi-threaded situations by only about 10%, but loses in everything else -- the N3350 seems the more attractive option to me.

Disclaimer: this is not an in-depth comparison. I only go by the specs in the Intel datasheets and the various benchmarks I found online. I do not have any of these SoCs myself and I cannot personally corroborate the benchmarking results. Take anything I said with a grain of salt, and remember that I won't take any responsibility for any purchasing-decisions made.
  • Erwan Bigorgne
    Erwan Bigorgne New Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    The link you pasted only refers on cinebench benchmarks. The passmark score is only a guess of their own (" However the majority of CPUs have not been tested and the results have been estimated by a CPU-monkey’s secret proprietary formula. As such they do not accurately reflect the actual Passmark CPU mark values").
    More complete results may be found here ? :
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-x5-Z8350-vs-Intel-Atom-x7-x7-Z8700
    or here
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+x7-Z8750+@+1.60GHz&amp;id=2968

may such different performances be explained by the respective memory bandwith ?

Anyway I agree that the x7-Z8700 is not a breakthrough over the x5.
  • Sergey
  • Sergey
  • WereCatf
    I would prefer they focus now on improving the documentation and software and implementing the missing-but-promised features on the existing boards, rather than rushing to produce even more boards.
  • Sergey
    Now there are only 2 manufacturers that make productive boards. This is up and lattepanda.
    But some of the little things are lacking. And I just want to know whether to expect upgraded boards or not.
    Regarding documentation and software - I express my concern that the standard mipi dsi - does not work. No one single-board computer, did not implement this specification in full. And name this technology as mipi dsi - is not correct. I hope at least one of the UP boards will be an exception.
  • Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    @DrCox: We follow Mipi-DSI pin definition from Intel , which is different from Raspebrry Pi's . Therefore Mipi-DSI display from Raspberry Pi will not work on UP board. It is still full MPICI-DSI function, just different industrial standard.
    To make sure the MIPI-DSI & MIPI-DSI functionality works as expected, we will still follow Intel's design guide in all UP family product.
    I hope this explanation helps you understand the story behind. :-)
  • Sergey
    Thank you.
    I would like to receive more technical details about all the elements of the boards.
    As a user, I would like to have more flexibility in choosing the parameters of the boards. Well, I'll wait.