Drivers on Windows 8/10 MS Windows Packages

Whee Min
Whee Min New Member Posts: 18
Hi UP Team,

I just saw a MS Windows 8/10 Microsoft OS Packages. When download and unzip, I noticed that there are GPIO, SPI, I2C drivers. Are these drivers ready for the UP Board. Is there any documentation on how to use them to control or interface with components? How to we call the drivers on which programming graphics environment?

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    You are right. At this moment, we are still working on drivers of SPI, I2C, and GPIO. I will add some this remark on the release note and soon we will release the drivers or documents about how to program it.
  • Massimo
    Massimo New Member Posts: 2
    Just installed Win 10 PRO version 1511 Build 10586.164 (latest x64 version). When I try to install your drivers WIN10_64 - Step_1-Chipset_and_peripherals through it's Setup.exe file it reports a failure message: "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: [string ID not found]"
    What do you suggest to do?
  • Michael Miller
    Michael Miller New Member Posts: 95
    is there any update on this? I want to use this with a Waveshare AD/DA board and need to be able to access the SPI bus to do so. but can find no information on how to do so in windows.
  • Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Sharing from UP Windows SW team:
    The support model between Linux and Windows is quite different. Linux is an open-source open platform, but Windows is not.
    You could not find any standalone windows I2C or SPI bus driver download without specified end device. For Linux, user can write a I2C/SPI device driver base on installed I2C/SPI core driver without knowing the core driver implementation detail.
    Due to the windows driver architecture, we could not provide a standalone DRIVER for I2C or SPI interface.
    For Linux-based maker, they have programming ability to handle the developing process. For Windows user, most of they need a hardware ready platform, instead of open platform.

We are developing the GPIO and hardware monitor windows driver for UP-board now. I2C and SPI could not be listed in the plan as it is highly hardware-relevant, the driver needs to be developed according to which hardware device to be used. For the community users, you can develop the driver from the sample code as below link:

I2C driver sample code
    https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/master/spb/SkeletonI2C
    SPI driver sample code=> we didn't find any SPI driver sample code for Windows 10 version, but only Windows IOT Core version, you may check if it works:
    https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/IoT-SPI

About I2S, the driver will depends on the vendor of end device, such as Realtek I2S Audio Codec Driver, Conexant I2S Audio Codec Driver …
    https://drivers.windows10download.com/win10-i2s-drivers/
  • Michael Miller
    Hmm, ok, I will look into installing Linux and LabVIEW for linux and see if that helps.
  • William Henning
    William Henning New Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

Please advise WHY you can't make generic SPI and I2C drivers, following say a simple API I2C and SPI ones presented in pigpio

http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/

I know that is not how it is normally done in the windows desktop world, but as a developer with >30 years experience, I would like to know why it cannot be done like that for the up-board's.

Bill
    AlingWu wrote:
    Sharing from UP Windows SW team:
    The support model between Linux and Windows is quite different. Linux is an open-source open platform, but Windows is not.
    You could not find any standalone windows I2C or SPI bus driver download without specified end device. For Linux, user can write a I2C/SPI device driver base on installed I2C/SPI core driver without knowing the core driver implementation detail.
    Due to the windows driver architecture, we could not provide a standalone DRIVER for I2C or SPI interface.
    For Linux-based maker, they have programming ability to handle the developing process. For Windows user, most of they need a hardware ready platform, instead of open platform.

We are developing the GPIO and hardware monitor windows driver for UP-board now. I2C and SPI could not be listed in the plan as it is highly hardware-relevant, the driver needs to be developed according to which hardware device to be used. For the community users, you can develop the driver from the sample code as below link:

I2C driver sample code
    https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/master/spb/SkeletonI2C
    SPI driver sample code=> we didn't find any SPI driver sample code for Windows 10 version, but only Windows IOT Core version, you may check if it works:
    https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/IoT-SPI

About I2S, the driver will depends on the vendor of end device, such as Realtek I2S Audio Codec Driver, Conexant I2S Audio Codec Driver …
    https://drivers.windows10download.com/win10-i2s-drivers/
  • Michael Miller
    I too would be interested in an answer to this as I cannot simply install LabVIEW for Linux as I had hoped, they do not provide that as a download and you have to request a physical media from your NI representative. I may try to write a driver for this device If I have to, but it would help me and anyone else looking to use the UP with Windows 10 and SPI/I2C (which a majority of HATs use) to have something more generic.
  • Nate
    Nate New Member Posts: 4
    Same problem here. Is there a fix?
  • Klaus Conrad
    Klaus Conrad New Member Posts: 2
    Hi all

is there any update on the Windows 10 drivers for GPIO and SPI/I2C? I checked for updates but could not find anything after this thread, and I need to know if the UP board will support GPIO in windows or not
  • EMBEXYS
    EMBEXYS New Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

GPIO is supported on widows, but I2C and Watchdog are apparently not yet supported on windows.
    Indeed I tried the Aaeon Hi-Safe utility, and the only topics that could be selected were "CPU", "HWMonitor" and "DIO". But "SMBus" (I2C) and "Watchdog" items can not be selected.
    Is it the same for you?
    Does anyone know if and when I2C and wathdog will be supported on UPboards on windows ?
  • EMBEXYS
    Hello,

I send to you a former message because I got no answer for more than 3 months:

GPIO is supported on widows, but I2C and Watchdog are apparently not yet supported on windows.
    Indeed I tried the Aaeon Hi-Safe utility, and the only topics that could be selected were "CPU", "HWMonitor" and "DIO". But "SMBus" (I2C) and "Watchdog" items can not be selected.

Does anyone know if and when I2C and wathdog will be supported on UPboards on windows ?
    Same question for the UP2 board...
  • rogertsai(AAEON)
    rogertsai(AAEON) New Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    Hi Alain
    UP and UP2 are both supported for I2C on Windows 10, but does not support wathdog function
    please note the SMBus is not exactly the same as the I2C
  • EMBEXYS
    Dear Roger,

Thank you for your reply.
    Are there releases of libraries and of Hi-safe utility for making I2C work ? Where can I find them ?
    For watchdog, will it be supported soon by AAEON ?

Best regards

Alain
  • rogertsai(AAEON)
    edited September 2017
    Are there releases of libraries and of Hi-safe utility for making I2C work ? Where can I find them ?
    Which one I2C port you use on HAT40 GPIO Connector? if I2C0, please change the I2C0/GPIO selection in the BIOS
    I2C channels support standard-mode (100kHz) and fast-mode (400kHz). and the Freq. can be selected in BIOS settings.
    For watchdog, will it be supported soon by AAEON
    Unsupported, the HW does not support this feature
  • EMBEXYS
    Dear Roger,

I use the port I2C1 on the HAT40 GPIO Connector (pins 3 and 5). Is I2C1 not supported ?
    I think I tried to enable I2C in BIOS without success. But I will try again...

Are there new drivers for supporting I2C ? Is Hi-Safe utility supporting the I2C (enabling easy tests) ?

Considering WatchDog, you mean that this feature will never be supported on windows 10 ?

Alain
  • rogertsai(AAEON)
    I use the port I2C1 on the HAT40 GPIO Connector (pins 3 and 5). Is I2C1 not supported ?
    I think I tried to enable I2C in BIOS without success. But I will try again...
    from i know, it should be supported on BIOS ver. UPC1DM02, but it's not ready yet for release on UP Form downloads area
    Are there new drivers for supporting I2C ? Is Hi-Safe utility supporting the I2C (enabling easy tests) ?
    not support to Hi-Safe

Considering WatchDog, you mean that this feature will never be supported on windows 10 ?
    yes, because it's Hardware limitation
  • EMBEXYS
    Dear Roger,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know when BIOS ver. UPC1DM02 will be released on UP Form download ?
    Is it possible to be warned when this release is available ?
  • m_kramar
    m_kramar New Member Posts: 8

Guys, I've got my UpBoard Plus and it looks like I'm coming to terrible realisation that 2 years later SPI is still not implemented on Windows. Tell me I'm wrong please!