Updating the UEFI BIOS on a new UP Squared board

David Rolfe
David Rolfe New Member Posts: 98
Hi,

I received my UP Squared board today, and the first thing I wish to do is to upgrade the UEFI Bios to the latest UPA1AM21 version, which has just been released.

Can I just copy the unzipped files onto a USB stick and use that 'as is', without having to install an OS first, or do I have to use something like Rufus to make the USB stick bootable beforehand?

After that my plan is to install the latest Ubilinux onto the eMMC for which I do realise that I will have to prepare a bootable USB stick.

Thanks!

(I did have a look at the wiki, but it talks about "pre-production" BIOS versions, which is a stage I had thought we had now passed.)

Comments

• Kabuli Chana
    Kabuli Chana New Member Posts: 10
    You can just create the USB stick with ubilinux OS, unzip the BIOS into a directory on the root of that stick, load BIOS as per the wiki, then reboot and load OS from same stick.
  • WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Yes, just format a USB-stick as FAT32, unzip the files there, pop it into your UP2 and during boot press F7 to bring up the menu where you can select to fire up the UEFI-shell. You don't need Rufus, you don't need an OS installed. Oh, and after it has finished installing the BIOS just wait -- it looks as if the board has powered off, but it takes a couple minutes before it fires back up again. Don't pull the power-plug, don't reset the board and don't touch the power-button -- just wait.
  • David Rolfe
    David Rolfe New Member Posts: 98
    Thanks for the info, and also for the waiting tip!

I am slightly curious as to why you say to press F7 rather than the 'delete' key... does that do something different then?

It is getting a bit late now, but I hope to be able to spend a bit of time on it tomorrow.
  • WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Del takes you to BIOS-setup, F7 instead brings up the menu where you choose what you want to boot, and since you want to boot into the UEFI-shell, F7 it is.
  • wdweldon
    wdweldon New Member Posts: 1

Where do I obtain the lasted UP2 bios update? In addition I am looking for a simple way to add sound such as Bluetooth, thoughts?