Multiple touch screens with UP!

Ben Hardy
Ben Hardy New Member Posts: 8
Hi there,
We're doing a big visual music project which requires us to have 6 different touch screens connected to an UP board. Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this?
One suggestion has been using 2 Matrox TripleHead2Go. I have not tried this and do not know if its compatible- any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    edited July 2017
    Hi Benh,

That sounds like an interesting project!

How high should be the resolution of each screen?

Option 1 would be to get a USB3.0 to PCIe adapter and connect a video card capable of 6 video out.

Alternatively you could opt for an UP Squared.
    With that board you would have out of the box 3 video out: HDMI, DP and eDP (eDP would require a specific monitor/adapter). Then you can add 3 more USB to HDMI video adapter.
    On UP Squared, you have a miniPCIe slot where you can plug and adapter to a standard video card pcie and easily achieve a 6 displays solution.
  • Ben Hardy
    Hi Dcleri,
    Sorry for not getting back earlier. We've been away and just got back yesterday.
    Thanks for your reply. UP squared sounds like the best option. We'll look into it and I'll let you know what we do!
    Best,

Ben
  • lbdroid
    lbdroid New Member Posts: 2
    It won't be a big deal to get 6 monitors hooked up. There are many options in this regard, including USB-HDMI, and that DisplayPort supports daisy chaining of multiple monitors.

Where you are going to have a hard time is in the TOUCH aspect of these monitors. The problem is that touch sensor drivers don't know anything about which monitor they are associated with.

In other words, you're going to have to get into the code for the display drivers in order to get this kind of thing implemented.

Good luck.
  • Ben Hardy
    Hi Ibdroid,

Thanks for your post. That's an interesting point that the touch sensor displays don't know which monitor they are associated with.
    Unfortunately we can't test anything until the Up Squared boards are ready to ship but we will investigate the different possibilities.
    We'll let you know how we get on!

Thanks,

Ben
  • henry851018
    henry851018 New Member Posts: 3
    Can I use the USB3.0 to PCIe adapter for eGpu on windows 10?
    How do I set it up?
  • henry851018
    henry851018 New Member Posts: 3
    I have a USB3.0 to PCIex16 adapter like the picture it can use eGpu no windows?
    I am looking for a long time
    How do I set it up?
    thank for you
  • lbdroid
    lbdroid New Member Posts: 2
    I think that you might not understand what that board actually does.

First off, what it is NOT: That board is NOT a "USB3 to PCIe bridge".
    Secondly, if you could buy a USB3 to PCIe bridge, I promise you it would cost a LOT more than the $5 that those things sell for.

What that device actually is;
    You plug the SMALL board (the little wee one in the lower-right of the picture) into a PCIe X1 slot of some computer you have. Then you plug the wire between the small board and the big board. Then you plug in some PCIe board into the big board.

It is a coincidence that it uses a USB3 wire. It is NOT USB AT ALL. They really should use a custom wire for that, maybe a ribbon wire.