[SOLVED] ubilinux install instruction error?

Rick Baugh
Rick Baugh New Member Posts: 7
edited August 2017 in UP Board Linux
This is regarding a brand-new UP board right out of the box.

The wiki instructions say to insert the USB key w/ the iso image, power up, and at the UP logo hit F7.

However my board does not give an UP logo, just the EFI shell prompt.

If I hit the F7 key while resetting, I get a prompt to enter a password, not a grub-like boot selection menu.

Is something messed up w/ my board, or are the instruction just wrong? Can the iso be installed from the EFI shell? How?

Thanks
Thanks! Your MAC OS instructions work perfectly too. Good addition.

Comments

• Nicola Lunghi
    Nicola Lunghi Emutex Posts: 131 mod
    Dear rbaughtx9
    the UP^2 board is set to boot automatically from usb if a bootable image is present on the USB key.
    [ol]
    [li]Try to recreate the pendrive like is explained in the wiki.[/li]
    [li]check if the pendrive is botable by seeing if you can boot your pc with it (no installation only check if you can see the boot menu for ubilinux)[/li]
    [li]If the pendrive is bootable maybe you have a wrong setting in the bios. Hit F7 and simply press enter when asked for password. See if you can see the pendrive in the boot list[/li]
    [li]If you don't see it (and the above are not true) try a different usb port -> if it works on a different usb chances are that your board is defective contact AAEON for a replacement)[/li]
    [li]Maybe your bios is corrupt: try to reflash the bios again and see if this changes anything Link[/li]
    [li]if none of the above works probably your board is defective: please proceed RMA process at UP SHOP. LINK
    [/ol]
  • Rick Baugh
    I tried to boot the USB key in my MacBook Pro PC, and it did not work there either, nor in another 64-bit Linux box.

So I directly mounted the ubilinux-3.3.iso file on my linux box, and noticed that the mount type is iso9660. But my USB key was formatted via 'mkdosfs /dev/sdb1 -I'. It occurred to me that the file systems did not match.

So instead of using the 'dd' command to copy the iso file, I used 'cp -a' to copy the mounted iso file to the USB file. However since DOS does not support soft links, as found in the ISO image, none of those links were created in the USB key.

This time, the UP board DID RECOGNIZE my USB key as a UEFI bootable device, when I booted it with F7 pressed. But choosing to boot with it simply gave me a grub prompt w/ no OS boot configs found.

This makes me think that the UP board itself is fine, but the problem remains that I still haven't found the magic recipe for creating a correct bootable USB stick. What I know is:
    [ol]
    [li]Using the dd command to copy the ISO directly to the stick, per the WIKI, doesn't seem to work at all.[/li]
    [li]Mounting the ISO image then using cp -a almost works, but not quite.[/li]
    [/ol]

I'm going to try 'cp -L' next, which will copy any soft links in the ISO as duplicated files. Unless y'all have any better ideas?

Thanks
  • Rick Baugh
    Nope, using 'cp -RL' just gives me a grub prompt again. No ubilinux to be found.
  • WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    When creating the USB-disk, did you do e.g. 'dd if=ubilinux.iso of=/dev/sdb' or did you do 'dd if=ubilinux.iso of=/dev/sdb1' -- notice the difference in sdb and sdb1; the former one without number is the correct format, the latter isn't.
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    We have updated the instructions to create the USB installer for MacOS.

You can find the tutorial in our wiki: https://up-community.org/wiki/Ubilinux#MacOS

Please make sure to review every step and use the "dd" command wisely!

Don't hesitate to ask any question if you need further help.
  • Rick Baugh
    Aah, if you were here physically, I'd buy you a beer. That was the whole issue! If I write to /dev/sdb1 then the stick mounts as a FAT32 disk with unreadable garbage on it. If I write to /dev/sdb then the stick mounts as a ISO9660 disk with all the image files, soft links, and directories intact.

Thank you! :-)
  • Rick Baugh
    Thanks! Your MAC OS instructions work perfectly too. Good addition.