Now that I fried my only UP board....

Kurt
Kurt New Member Posts: 146 ✭✭
I wish I signed up for having the UP2 go in round 2 (beta board with case) instead of wait for Round 3...

As I mentioned in another thread I fried my UP by plugging my 12v wall wart into the wrong power input (was supposed to plug into my shield) instead of the UP power input. As soon as I plugged it in, I heard a pop and smelled the magic smoke.

So now trying to decide to wait for UP2 to continue stuff or order an UP. Note I am USA so I looked at mouser, but they are only selling the 4x64 version, where I could easily get by with the 2x32 which is about $40 less if direct from UP, but then $30 shipping...

Now trying to decide what I will do. Could simply go back to using Odroid board like C1/2 or XU4 for now.

So again wondering if it would be possible to change my mind and have a round 2 shipped soon? Also can we add additional stuff from UP as part of the shipment? Like maybe an another UP board?

Also secondary question, if I fired the board by plugging in 12v, should I assume that the stuff plugged into USB (Wifi and BT) are likely dead as well?

Thanks

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Hi KurtE,

The board is designed with power protection. So the board might not be burnt yet. It could be damage from other components. However, we are not able to comment more before seeing the board.
    Shipping from USA for self-damage RMA is not so ideal. Can you drop an email to info@up-board.org for our counter proposal?
  • Vincent Flesouras
    Vincent Flesouras New Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2017
    I can't speak to your question as to whether or not your board is fried, you'd have to use a multi-meter and correct power supply (5v, >4amp, center-positive AC->DC).

I can tell you that over voltage (13.4v +) protection is on the board. It has a poly-fuse and voltage regulators. It shouldn't directly damage other components. With that said, anything can happen, but it's not likely that your USB devices are fried.

regards,
    xalg
  • Kurt
    @AlingWu - Sent email - Thanks,

@xalg - Thanks, hopefully something can be resurrected.
  • Kurt
    FYI - I ordered a replacement board.

I tried connecting +5v to external header pins and did not smell anything. Also measured 3.3v on the appropriate pins on the header. So some stuff is still working. But does not appear to be booting... blue led is on... Not sure I want to trust plugging into monitor to see if anything else shows up of LAN into router... Was hoping to maybe get it up far enough to may copy off some of the code I was playing with... Should have uploaded it to git (or to my machine using winscp...)

So Hopefully within a week or two should have something to try again...
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    You may have fried just the chip that protects the USB ports... Can you have a look on the bottom side of the USB2.0 ports?
  • Kurt
    Thank,

FYI - yesterday I did try plugging it into an old monitor I had to see if anything like debug output showed up on the display... Nothing did..

And so took bottom plate off again to look again more carefully around the USB ports, which was a good call as the USB port itself was getting reasonably warm.

And yes I think at least one chip was killed here.