UP BOARD+WINDOWS 10+LABVIEW

Options
DIEGO FORELLA
DIEGO FORELLA New Member Posts: 2
Hello
I wanted to install windows 10 on the UP board and then install a LabVIEW program to communicate with the electronic control units through a serial usb .

you think you can ?

It has still not left the guide to install Windows 10 on up board ?

thank you all

best regards

Comments

• Hong Zhang
    Hong Zhang New Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I want to know as well
  • Aeth
    Aeth New Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm hoping that windows install is no different from any other x84-64 PC.

Boot from USB device, next, yes, next, make partitions, next, go get coffee & let it do its thing.
    Set machine settings, make user, login.
    Install drivers, run windows update.

Done!
  • DIEGO FORELLA
    DIEGO FORELLA New Member Posts: 2
    Options
    there is a version of Windows 10 to download directly to usb drive?

thanks for the answers
  • Aeth
    Aeth New Member Posts: 10
    Options
    forellico wrote:
    there is a version of Windows 10 to download directly to usb drive?
    All of them since windows 7 I think (Vista was possible, but slightly tricky to get the USB built).
    Aside from ancient 10+yo machines which don't actually support booting off thumbdrives, I can't recall the last system I installed from optical media.

Pretty sure the current Microsoft tool will even make the USB for you.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
    Expand the section titled "Perform a clean installation using a USB or DVD" and have a read.
  • Eric
    Eric New Member Posts: 29
    Options
    It is actually as easy as formatting a USB stick using Windows (to write the proper boot code) and then using a proper tool that copies hidden files to copy setup files from a mounted .iso file (Windoes 8 & up: left click) to the USB drive - or if you want to skip setup (assuming you're OK with the default language+keyboard layout until after setup (or figure out how to change it):
    In Command Prompt:
    dism /Apply-Image /?
    PowerShell:
    Get-Help Expand-WindowsImage
    The wim file is at .\sources\install.wim or .\sources\install.esd on the ISO's drive.

There's a lot of information about Windows PE and Windows RE on Microsoft Technet as well as everything you need to build a fully custom Windows Image (.wim) or with Windows 10 perhaps including provisioning packages that you can eventually deploy to UP boards fully automated.

Just write a page or two PowerShell to make the master image all the way from a clean installation of the Windows ADK on a technician computer to a .wim or a size-optimized .esd file that you can then deploy with a few other lines of PowerShell on the factory floor.
  • Sergey Liberman
    Sergey Liberman New Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had no trouble running a LabVIEW executable on an UP board under Win10. I did not try any DAQ, but I don't think there will be any problems running VISA communications over a virtual COM port (I am partial to FTDI adapters). If you don't want to use NI-VISA, you can try the LVSERIAL library written by Martin Henz (Google it). It works pretty well on single-core processors, but IMO VISA is more stable on multi-core processors.
  • Hao-Min,Chan
    Hao-Min,Chan New Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I had tried use the UP Board (4 GB RAM / 32 GB eMMC) running LabVIEW on Windows 10.
    I use the NI GPIB-USB-HS to control five instruments at the same time to do some thing and generating results report,that system is functioning properly.
  • Hong Zhang
    Hong Zhang New Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi guys
    I want to use the UP Board for a remote application. Power provided is solar panel and battery. Currently I am using a mini PC. The problem is sometimes running off battery so the PC got an Illegal power off. And then the PC dead. My question is if UP Board can take the Illegal power off.

Thanks
    Hong

• hugoshih
    hugoshih New Member Posts: 3
    Options

I tried the battery problem and finally found a usable battery in two months. I can make the up board start smoothly and keep working for 5-8 hours. If you are interested, please send me an email to hugoshih@gmail.com

• gfbotha
    gfbotha New Member Posts: 2
    Options

Has anyone tried interfacing with the 40pin header (GPIO, I2C, SPI & UART) from Labview?
    I had no problem interfacing with NI-DAQ or RS232 to USB converters.