[SOLVED] up2 storage getting readonly frequently

Marian
Marian New Member Posts: 16
edited July 2017 in UP Squared Linux
could you please have a look and advise if my storage is ok or not?

I am getting lots of theese:

[ 70.150267] mmc1: Got data interrupt 0x00000002 even though no data operation was in progress.
[ 70.154491] mmcblk0: error -84 sending status command, retrying
[ 70.175910] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x0, card status 0x900
[ 70.175922] mmcblk0: error -110 transferring data, sector 31417600, nr 48, cmd response 0x0, card status 0x0
[ 70.176062] mmcblk0: retrying using single block read

and my filesystem is getting read only, i did set filesystem check to be run on every reboot however today i have rebooted 3rd time, and that is too often.

I am attaching dmesg output from the freshly rebooted up2.

Please advise
user: sandeep

resolution: After setting the recommended DDR-50 config, have not observed the issue.

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Hi marjan,

What UP Squared version do you have? Is it an innovator board?
    Also what are the CPU, RAM and eMMC specifications for your system?

The 4.4 kernel is missing some important changes for the SoC available on the UP Squared.
    In our testing we tried 4.8 Kernel or newer (on both Ubuntu and Debian).

Could you try to reboot the system and then install the 4.8 lts kernel via apt?

Or, alternatively, please download the latest 16.04.2 which should include the 4.8 kernel.
    Alternatively Ubuntu 17.04 comes with a 4.10 kernel, which includes even more improvements.

Does it improve the situation?
  • Sandeep Rao
    Sandeep Rao New Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2017
    Had installed 16.04.2 server version and was observing the same issue. Based on suggestion, installed 17.04 .

Getting to see Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.

mmcblk1 :error -110 transferring data, sector xxxxxxxx, nr 232, cmd response 0x0, card status 0x0
  • DCleri
    Hi marjan and sandeep,

What UP Squared version do you have? Is it an innovator board?
    Also what are the CPU, RAM and eMMC specifications for your system?
  • Marian
    Sorry for delay,

I would say it is not inovator version, i did choose to ship it early without chassis with $20 coupon.
    It is up2 with 8GB RAM, 128GB eMMC and intel N4200

I did upgrade to kernel 4.10.0-22 and still experiencing issue.

I did moved out vm out of the root lv, so fs is rw for 3 days however there are almost no i/o except I/O produced by os itself

I can add that I was experiencing "mmcblk1 :error -110 transferring data, sector xxxxxxxx, nr 232, cmd response 0x0, card status 0x0" error for example when i did ssh to the board

Marjan
  • Sandeep Rao
    edited June 2017
    Not an innovator board. Opted to received with $20 coupon. It is 8GB / 128 GB / Intel N4200.

When I tried to install ubilinux 3.0 (Just for testing) It got installed, but the error was not observed.

Also I did read another on this forum using 16.04 and adding ppa for linux-board and the same working for another user, yet to try that.
  • DCleri
    Thanks for reporting your systems specifications.

Please try to install the standard ubuntu 16.04 and use a 4.8 kernel or newer. Alternatively try Ubuntu 17.04 with kernel 4.10.

We are going to release next week the ubilinux 4.0 beta with official kernel support for UP Squared.
    It will include a 4.9 lts debian kernel, I/O patches for UP Squared and other minor improvements.
  • Sandeep Rao
    Attempted to install Debian Stretch today (Kernel 4.9) - Same issues observed.
  • Sandeep Rao
    Attempted Ubuntu 17.04 Server - Same issues observed

Attempted Ubuntu 16.04.2 Destkop - Same issues observed when continuous writes are attempted.
  • Sandeep Rao
    Working on PoC - would be helpful if we can know approximate time line for Ubilinux 4.0 Beta.
  • Sandeep Rao
    For now settling down with the following initial setup until further resolution

Install Debian Stretch 9 (Server - Headless)

add to apt/sources.list main contrib non-free

update and install firmware-misc-non-free (i915) / firmware-realtek (rtl3168g), firmware-iwlwifi (iwlwifi-7265D ucode)

With this observing timeout error (induces delay) but works.
  • Marian
    Hi,

will it be possible to install ubilinux kernel also on ubuntu as it was done for up board?

Marjan
  • DCleri
    Hello,

ubilinux 4.0 beta release will be available within this week.

About the ubilinux kernel for Ubuntu, it will follow up the release of the official Ubuntu 4.10 kernel for Ubuntu LTS releases in early August.

AAEON will follow up in the next couple of days with updates on eMMC issue.
  • Troy Lin
    Troy Lin Guest Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Hi All,

To resolve the 128 eMMC timeout issue, a setting in the BIOS needs to be adjusted

In the BIOS menu under Chipset, please adjust the eMMC Max Speed from HS400 to DDR50

The reason for this is because the 128GB eMMC is from SanDisk, and the flash controller that SanDisk uses require the Speed to be DDR50, the end result is a slower eMMC read/write performance comparing to other brands such as Hynix or Samsung.

We have highlighted this issue to SanDisk and there is no resolution, therefore, we have decided for MP version of UP2, we will use Samsung for the 128GB SKU. We have tested the Samsung 128GB on UP2 and it runs at HS400 (EMMC 5.1) for all different OS such as Windows/Linux/Android.

Thank you for understanding.
  • Marian
    hi,

did you do test after switching to DDR50? what is the difference?

Marjan
  • Troy Lin
    Hi Marjan,

Yes we tested with DDR50 and kept it running script for over a week without any timeout issue occurrence

DDR50 is only required for SanDisk eMMC, other eMMC sizes with brands like Kingston, Hynix, Samsung runs at HS400
  • Sandeep Rao
    After setting the recommended DDR-50 config, have not observed the issue.
  • Michael Miller
    Michael Miller New Member Posts: 95
    Well, glad I bought myself a Samsung EVO SSD right away. Would it be possible to swap the EMMC chip for a Samsung on an existing board if I so desired to down the road? I understand this is not a trivial task, but hardware wise would they be pin compatible?
  • Troy Lin
    The Samsung EMMC is pin compatible to SanDisk EMMC and it can be exchanged, however, since EMMC is BGA solder down with 153 ball pins, it is very difficult to exchange with high failure rate.
  • Michael Miller
    Michael Miller New Member Posts: 95
    I understand, and I will likely just use the eMMC for a secondary storage source since I have an mSATA SSD.
  • Andy Carlson
    Andy Carlson New Member Posts: 6
    I tested also, and it "fixed" my MMC timeout error. The problem is that DDR50 is about half the speed of HS500. Is there any possibility that there will be a fix for this?
  • Bartek
    Bartek New Member Posts: 16
    Hello,

I have MP version UP2 with 120GB emmc. However with standard setting HS400 I am unable to boot ubilinux. I have emmc errors. I needed to switch to DDR50 to boot the system, but then the speed is limited. I have checked the chip, and it is made by samsung. Is my board faulty?

Regards
    Bartek